wyldfyah
a little advice please, and then some help-theme & module ***not on the newb ladder yet***
  • 2010/4/8 2:25

• wyldfyah

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/4/8 2

ok, well, i installed a gamer theme (ithri 35 game 3c) because i like the simple layout and the image carousel at the top. it's perfect. but i don't know how to add images to the carousel. and i cant figure out how to get rid of the developers navigation (entertainmenttoronto.platinumj.ca is the site). i'm also having a little problem with modules opening to their directory instead of their index page. is this because it's a subdomain? i have rerouting on to make the web address open to the site index.php...

alternatively, i could use a simple theme and add an image module but i searched and couldn't find any that have a carousel listed as a feature. can someone tell me if any of them have that function?

which of the above options is better/easier?

and about a blog module? any recommendations?

the site concept is very simple...advertisements at the top and links in the body. that's all i want. i will eventually develop it into a full community but for now, just the pix and the links.

regarding the links now, its actually small files that i will be hosting...new release tracks from local artists. i want to set it up by date...latest releases at the top and was planning to use a blog module and just paste links. but while i was looking at modules i found some directory modules for downloads. i love the choices but it's overwhelming trying to choose without a little guidance. any suggestions?

i know this is such a long message...sorry

deepak267
Re: a little advice please, and then some help-theme & module ***not on the newb ladder yet***

Hi,

I can understand your position. I started my 1st community site with XOOPS without any prior knowledge of XOOPS ( or any CMS) it took almost 3 months for the 1st hosting. The most difficult part was selecting the modules and theme. There are plenty of choice to choose from.

However It's very difficult to suggest the themes as it's purely personal choice. Also some of them are free where as some of them are paid.

For choosing module, I considered few things which I can share:

1. Check if you can install and test them in your local environment just to ensure it works for you.
2. Check it's compatiable with latest XOOPS core (Xoops 2.4.4)
3. Check the last release date of the module ( avoid un supported module). Sometime the latest release are not on the XOOPS repository but on some other site .(I know it's a pain to find)

I would suggest to begin, pick up a simple theme and all the required module and host it. Let it run for few days/weeks. once fully operational try to work on themes. if you dont know css, html,PHP, customising themes are most time consuming task

It's not fair to compare the modules, but after some research I finally settled for the following :

XcGallery 2.0.4 - Gallery
Video Tube 1.8.4 - Videos
WebLink 0.93 - Links
CBB 3.0.8 - Forum ( the latest one is v4 now)
AMS 2.51 - Article ( the latest one is v3 now)

You can check my site www.AquariumHomeCare.com.
It's running on LAMP with XOOPS 2.3.1 from last 1.5 year without any trouble.

Hope it helps.

Good Luck

Deepak

wyldfyah
Re: a little advice please, and then some help-theme & module ***not on the newb ladder yet***
  • 2010/4/8 14:43

• wyldfyah

• Just popping in

thanks for the great advice deepak. i'm going to start fresh with a simple theme...

i really feel out of my element and completely overwhelmed so i appreciate the time you took to respond.

deepak267
  • 2010/4/8 15:51

• deepak267

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/8/15

I am glad that you found it useful. Give me a shout if you need any help.

Xoops is great and friendly group. I must say thanks to all user who interacts here because I learned a lot from this group and they always answered to my stupid questions.

So happy Xooping.. See you around..

Deepak

wyldfyah
  • 2010/4/14 22:30

• wyldfyah

• Just popping in

thanks again,

i realized i left a trail of unsolved messages behind me in my panicked state of mind so i'm just cleaning up my mess.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits