StacyPii
Xoops Site Backup
  • 2010/4/6 16:02

• StacyPii

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/4/6 1

I plan to upgrade to the latest version of XOOPS and need to backup my client's XOOPS site. I am currently downloading the files to my computer via FTP.

I have read that there may be issues with custom modules and hacks, but that aside, can I rest assured that the original site will remain intact in the event the upgrade goes wrong and I restore the site to the original version?

Is there anything I should do before the upgrade?

I am new to all this, so your help is most appreciated.

Thanks.

bjuti
Re: Xoops Site Backup
  • 2010/4/6 16:47

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Try to update your backup on localhost. If all go well, then you have no problems to update it on live server.

BTW. Don't forget to make backup of DATABASE! It's more important than core, modules etc.

StacyPii
  • 2010/4/6 16:57

• StacyPii

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/4/6 1

Thank you.

The only problem I've encountered so far is this:

Can't open modprob.jpg: Permission denied.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks.

mboyden
  • 2010/4/6 20:12

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

As bjuti said, backup everything first (files and the dB), setup in a dev/test environment, and then apply your upgrade and test it out. Learn from that; document; and then apply it to the production site.

Depending on the version you are going from/to, there are a number of things to think about. You didn't mention which version you were starting with. Some modules may not work with later versions. When I do an update, I ensure that I know what hacks were made to modules, the core, etc.

I posted some notes on updating from 2.0.x to 2.3.x awhile back. They are still generally pertinent overall to any version upgrade/update.

Hope that helps.

Login

Who's Online

509 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 509

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits