Mazarin
MultiMenu screwing up themes
  • 2010/2/16 0:53

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

I am putting together a site which uses Insraq's fine Inspire5 theme. However, I noticed that for certain modules, e.g. piCal, DMS and Event Guide, as well as when submitting articles in AMS, the layout of the theme gets screwed (i.e. graphics are offset, whole page is aligned left instead of center etc) in IE (not FF).

First I thought it was a conflict with the modules' CSS's, but not so. I finally figured out it was MultiMenu causing this, but only together with these specific modules. Still thinking it was a CSS issue, I simply removed all templates and css's from the multimenu module, uninstalled and emptied cache, and installed again. Still the same problem.

What puzzles me is that I don't have to show anything from the actual MultiMenu module for it to screw things up (i.e. no block or menu), just by activating the module it makes these other modules look terrible.

Anyone have a suggestions what might be causing this? What is loaded from the MultiMenu module on all pages regardless of the fact that nothing from the module is displayed?

Mazarin
Re: MultiMenu screwing up themes
  • 2010/2/17 7:36

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

A slight bump and a rephrasing of the question:

What parts of a module are always loaded by the system, regardless if a part of the module (block or page) is accessed or not?

Mazarin
  • 2010/2/20 15:02

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

In the hunt for whatever is causing IE8, MultiMenu and Inspire5 to get f'd up with e.g. piCal I've noticed some really strange things.

I used the Developer Tool in IE8 to see how the browser interprets the page (i.e. the HTML tab). With the MultiMenu module deactivated, everything looks fine. However, with MultiMenu activated, IE8 interprets things way wrong and puts all the meta tags, link refs and scipts in the body instead of the head, which I guess is why IE8 interprets the page wrongly.

EDIT: Actually checking in Firebug, FF interprets the code in the same way, only it is able to handle it, unlike IE8.

The really strange thing is that if I view the source of the page (by clicking on view source on the actual page) they're exactly the same! What on earth is screwing up the interpretation of the code when I activate MultiMenu?

Does anyone have even a remote clue in what direction I should focus my search for finding this problem? This is getting SO frustrating.

ghia
  • 2010/2/20 17:13

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
The really strange thing is that if I view the source of the page (by clicking on view source on the actual page) they're exactly the same!
With MultiMenu activated or deactivated? Really?
Try also in FireBug by viewing HTML, right clicking on the html start tag and then do the copy of innerHTML for the two cases and compare them.

Mazarin
  • 2010/2/20 18:53

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

Thank you, thank you, thank you Learning new (albeit VERY basic) stuff in Firebug too.

OK, this was the problem:

The theme file used slash > to end meta and link tags, which is perfectly according to standard as far as I have been able to gather from W3. However, when activating MultiMenu, the slashes were removed, thus leaving the meta and link tags in the header without any closing tags. The solution was then to put specific end tags in.

Yes, I know I should have tried that before, but what can I say, I'm still learning. Good to know it is the innerHTML I'm suppose to look at from now on (and nothing else). Thank you very much Ghia!!!

On a side note, any idea why the slashes were stripped when MultiMenu was activated?

ghia
  • 2010/2/20 19:41

• ghia

Quote:
The solution was then to put specific end tags in.
And where did you put exactly these tags in?

Mazarin
  • 2010/2/20 20:15

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

In the header, there were several lines like:
<meta name="Description" content="<{$xoops_meta_description}>" />

I changed it to look like:
<meta name="Description" content="<{$xoops_meta_description}>" ></meta>

bjuti
  • 2010/2/21 0:33

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

That should be the same? /> mean that it's self-closing tag, or I'm wrong?

edit: now i saw original post :)

ghia
  • 2010/2/21 2:04

• ghia

The two forms should not make any difference.

What was the difference you spotted with the multimenu activation/deactivation?

Mazarin
  • 2010/2/21 8:38

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

Yes, I know they should be the same. That's why I didn't pay much attention to it from the beginning. However, it turned out that when MultiMenu was activated, the end slashes were stripped from the HTML, thus not closing the tags.

As to why they are stripped with MultiMenu activated, I have absolutely no idea.

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits