Re: Module Repository: Question and Answer Session
  • 2009/3/19 13:32

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:

Not so much a question as a statement:
I'm in favour of a limited number of the same module being made available via the repository, i.e. the latest one for the the current version of XOOPS and an older version for those folks who can't or don't want to upgrade from an earlier version of xoops.

While I understand why and it seems logical, this is something that XOOPS should not do. Why? I think it is up to the developer to provide a back date of the modules (archive) in pretty much the same way does at Sourceforge.

Some modules are update frequently and having a list of archived modules could start some confusion to which version is the correct one. We don't keep a list of XOOPS archives at this site, why should we do the same for module? As I said before we can link to their development area within the repository.

Quote:

I also think it would be productive to assign one or two folks to the task of scouring developers' own sites looking for updates and new releases of modules.

While in the short run this is required, we should think it more prudent for the developers to keep us up to date with their development. Waste of man power to keep chasing developers in the long run.

Quote:

Question:
Is there likely to be a sourceforge repository for those of us who want to develop modules under the "xoops banner" rather than maintain our own SVN?

This will happen in one form or another. Details to come.

Catz

Mamba
  • 2009/3/19 17:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Is there likely to be a sourceforge repository for those of us who want to develop modules under the "xoops banner" rather than maintain our own SVN?

Yes, there is an area for it:

http://xoops.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xoops/XoopsModules/

as long as your module will get approved for inclusion by the Modules Team.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/19 19:37

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Yes, there is an area for it:

http://xoops.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xoops/XoopsModules/

as long as your module will get approved for inclusion by the Modules Team.

This was something I was hoping to discus with you anyway ;)

Mamba
  • 2009/3/19 20:36

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
This was something I was hoping to discus with you anyway ;)

Let's take it then off-line.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/19 20:55

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Of course :)

redheadedrod

Along with the incorporation of module hooks I have been dreaming up a new way of doing the modules as well. The image I have is of a new module that takes into account versions of the modules, xoops, as well as dependencies. The intention is you will have an admin module that can keep track of the dependencies and latest versions.

Eventually would evolve into the sort of functionality that you see with Ubuntu's combo of dpkg and apt-get packages.

Is there something already in the works like this? With the module hook system in discussion we really need a module or system like this to tie it all together and will help XOOPS work well for everyone.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

noo-b
  • 2009/3/29 3:52

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

any update on this Module repository ?
I Love Xoops

Kiwi_Chris
  • 2009/3/30 3:52

• Kiwi_Chris

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/1/3 2

Module Funding?

e.g. Yogurt Module,
those that are interested in this modules development can donate via xoops.org in the same area as the Module download.
Xoops.org takes percentage and the "Team" working on the Module also get a percentage, hence providing a direct reward for the success of the module and the need for its development and a way to attract more developers to xoops,

I hope I have described my point so you understand my point.

Catzwolf
  • 2009/5/1 19:57

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

We are putting together specifications and design specifications for the new module. Then we will have to develop it. Not an over the night job, sorry. :)

khuhner
  • 2009/6/19 18:33

• khuhner

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/6 3

Quote:

redheadedrod wrote:
Along with the incorporation of module hooks I have been dreaming up a new way of doing the modules as well.

I also agree that XOOPS should look at an effective module development framework, whether it is a hook or framework. I would suggest something along the lines of the Model-Controller-View paradigm (ala NextStep, OpenStep). I developed client/server code in C and Objective-C for years, yet I find creating modules in XOOPS to be complicated, even with my experience. It should be easy, edit a few files, etc.

Xoops could distinguish itself by offering such a tool.

In regards to some other comments, I hated to look for modules on several sites (xoops.org, module developers, hacks of the module). Why cant all the module developers utlilze SF or some other commen single location?

Kurt

Login

Who's Online

246 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 246

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits