Catzwolf
@Trabis: Defacer
  • 2009/3/12 13:23

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@Trabis:

What exactly is the function of Defacer in regards to the relationship with Xoops? I installed this on 2.3.2 and struck a dead end with it, basically I could not find one thing to actually 'add' to it or edit.

Am I being a dork here or is there something I am missing here?

Cheers,

Catz

trabis
Re: @Trabis: Defacer
  • 2009/3/12 13:34

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

EHEH, well, you must hack header.php and footer.php, plea read the readme.txt. Then you need to create what I call a 'page'. A page can be a specific page or a set of pages like all module pages. It depends on the use of the * in the url field of the created page.

After creating a page, you can use it on the theme tab, permissions tab or metadata tab. Defacer allows you to change your theme, metadata, and access permissions to any given page or set of pages.

This is the last version and has a little fix for the beta:
http://www.xuups.com/defacer.zip

I'm working on adding url rewriting to it based on XoModRewrite but it will take some more time.

We should think of adding preload or callback points in several files of XOOPS so we can avoid this kinds of hacks and easily extend core if a module needs (like defacer or protector).

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/12 13:51

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Thanks, I'm a developer I never read those readme's lol

Last year I totally redid the text sanitizer to be a pre-post loader with the ability to have real plugins (with admin support) and this was to allow developers like yourself to write endless little widgets to your hearts consent :)

I will have another look and read the damn readme ;)

Thanks m8 :)

Catz

techdb
  • 2009/3/13 11:41

• techdb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/7 1

Thanks for the work on one of the most important modules to come out in a long time. Duplicate meta content has been a very difficult issue to work with regarding SEO and although some modules (especially the D3) allow customization, most of the XOOPS modules do not. XBS Metatags was buggy with later versions of XOOPS and I have had to resort to a very basic custom coding solution.

My question… can anyone get this module to work? I am assuming it will allow me to assign custom metatags to a particular XOOPS page... I am running XOOPS Version - XOOPS 2.3.0 PHP Version - 5.2.6 MySQL Version - 5.0.24a-standard-log Server API Version - cgi-fcgi. I have made the changes in line 193 class/page.php as well as the standard changes in the header and footer files indicated in the readme files.

On the xuups forum… one of the last questions is regarding making changes in the Default theme to which you state no changes are needed… I wonder if that person was also having difficulty. I have spent a few hours trying without success and there is not enough posted about this module yet to let me know if others are using it without problems.

Now that I see a developer is on the issue I am very interested to see if I am the only one having difficulty. I appreciate your time because I believe that this module has incredible potential and want to get it running ASAP.

trabis
  • 2009/3/13 13:39

• trabis

• Core Developer

I did not managed to reproduce the reported bug(module does not work). It may have to do with some PHP setting. I have to take a better look or, if anyone can give me access to one not working environment it would be great.

techdb
  • 2009/3/13 17:29

• techdb

• Just popping in

Sorry to be so vague but I use my production site for testing... Where can I look to see if module is running correctly? I check source code and the various XOOPS debug modes and don't see any evidence that beforeheader.php is being called correctly. I already tried disabling protector which didn't make a difference... could textsanitizer be knocking it out?

trabis
  • 2009/3/13 18:31

• trabis

• Core Developer

place an

echo"here";

inside beforeheader and see if it outputs or not, then move the echo further and further until it stops outputing.

trabis
  • 2009/3/13 19:28

• trabis

• Core Developer

Turn debugger on, Defacer ads an entry in 'timers'.
You should see lines like:

Defacer Header took 0.090 seconds to load.
Defacer Footer took 0.039 seconds to load.

techdb
  • 2009/3/14 14:42

• techdb

• Just popping in

Thanks for the advice. Checking timers let me find the problem in my header and footer files.

I am not a coder so I need to follow instructions exactly...

In the header file...I was not using the @ and just using include_once... you might want to stress that you need to paste code exactly....

Second problem I had which you might want to clarify in the readme... the footer doesn't use a defined but rather a !defined and therefore I ran into problems because I was putting your code inside the second bracket...

The following works:

if (!defined("XOOPS_ROOT_PATH")) {
die("XOOPS root path not defined");
}

@include_once XOOPS_ROOT_PATH . '/modules/defacer/include/beforefooter.php';

I really think something like this needs to be included in the core... the original XOOPS method of allowing the option of assigning the same metadata to every page represented a horrible idea for SEO because it was flagged as duplicate content by the robots.

Module seems to work very well so far.

tzvook
  • 2009/8/20 16:10

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Hi All
I'm going nuts
Defacer is not working for me .... it's my second round of tests (need it badely)

and the:
Defacer Footer took 0.039 seconds to load.
is not @ the timers (just the header one)

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits