caek9
Tranferring news articles to a brand new installation of xoops.
  • 2009/3/9 2:19

• caek9

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/7/9 2

I asked previously in this topic about transferring my entire site to a new domain...

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=67713&forum=20&post_id=306694#forumpost306694

But I was not able to successfully transfer over. Since what I'm trying to do is build a new site using my old websites previous news entries it isn't important that I transfer over everything. All I need from my old installation are all the news articles.

So my question is, how do I take my news articles from my old site and transfer them over to a new installation of xoops. I'm a beginner when it comes to managing mySQL databases, so I'm not sure if this is even possible, but anything you could help me would be appreciated.

Catzwolf
Re: Tranferring news articles to a brand new installation of xoops.
  • 2009/3/9 6:37

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

It is possible and doable, might be a learning experience for you though :)

First, create a backup of your new XOOPS database table just in case you mess up :)

Steps:
1: Install the news module as you would normally.
2: open the file /modules/news/xoops_version.php and look for anything that starts with:
Quote:
$modversion['tables']

You will see that these have values like for example:

Quote:

$modversion['tables'][0] = "stories";
$modversion['tables'][1] = "topics";
$modversion['tables'][2] = "stories_files";
$modversion['tables'][3] = "stories_votedata";
$modversion['tables'][4] = 'stories_log';

These are the database tables associated with the news modules and they shall have a prefix, so if your database table prefix is 'xoops' the table shall look like : xoops_stories_log

3. Using phpmyadmin, delete the news module tables in the current install of xoops.
4. If you haven't deleted the database from the previous version of Xoops, you can actually just copy the tables over from the old database to the new database using phpmyadmin.
a, select the table you want to copy, click on the Operations tab, and the look for 'Copy table to (database.table):'. Select the new database and enter the name table. ie: xoops_stories. once you have done that, click the go button and it should copy over to the new database. (You might need to rename the prefix so it matches the new database.)

Do that for all the news database tables.

If you only have a backup, then copy and past all the tables with their data into the SQL text box and save it. (again, you may have to rename all the database table prefixes to match the new database.

5. Once you have finished, I would update the news module within the XOOPS module admin page.

Hopefully, finsgers crossed, you should have your articles back and you will have to re do all the article group permissions again.

caek9
Re: Tranferring news articles to a brand new installation of xoops.
  • 2009/3/9 21:19

• caek9

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/7/9 2

Thank you for all the info. It will certainly be a learning experience. I'll post again after I try this :)

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits