Yeshua
Registering Users and adding a sentence on the registration form
  • 2009/3/2 0:58

• Yeshua

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/3/1 2

I'm totally new to XOOPS and the creation of forum type sites in general. I don't know anything about php, but been looking through a bunch of files for patterns (know a small amount of programing C++, so that helps a bit).

I'm in the process of create a site for my Church to use. I have created different user groups (board member, speaker, pastor, etc.) and I know some couples in our church use the same email address, but have different duties. If only one of them is a board member, I do not want the spouse to have access. So to get around this, I would like to be able to register users either without an email, or have 1 email with multiple accounts. Anyone know how I can change this? I did find the option to change the registration page to not require a email, but it still wouldn't go through.
So johnjane.smith@something.com can have username John Smith and username Jane Smith....or just no email at all for one of the usernames.

Also, I'm wondering how I can put a statement in the registration form saying:
"Registration on this site requires approval by the webmaster. Please be patient as approval may take a few days. This is so that I (the webmaster) can make sure you are classified in the correct group, eg. board member, sunday school teacher, worship team, etc.
Thank you for being patient and understanding.
Webmaster"
or something like that anyways.

Any help is greatly welcomed.

(oh ya, I did do a quick search a day ago and I didn't come up with anything)
and if you didn't figure it out...all new registrations require my approval

Catzwolf
Re: Registering Users and adding a sentence on the registration form
  • 2009/3/2 1:22

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Regarding your first Question, you could register one of them via admin and give them the details of their login account. You could use a dummy email address for the spouse. Not the ideal solution but one that would work I guess. No other way around your problem on this one.

I think that the easiest way for question 2 would be to put that in the registration disclaimer (you will find that in admin/preferences/users at the bottom) or you could edit the files and templates to include this.

Yeshua
  • 2009/3/2 1:35

• Yeshua

• Just popping in

are you thinking for a dummy address just typing in johnjane.smith@something.com? I'm just thinking what if you get a real address...the user won't be too happy if they end up accidently receiving some emails without them wanting them...and if there is some sensitive information in the email..even worse....I just figured theres gotta be something in the code to change this....but if there isn't there isn't...oh well...will have to think of something else.

in regards to the disclaimer...personally....who reads any of those disclaimers or legal mumbo jumbo...I don't....should I probably....just don't want to...usually says basically the same stuff usually....so since I don't read it, why should I expect someone else will. Thats why I would like to make something bright and bold or something so that they know for sure...and I tried to look through some files trying to figure this out already....but no luck...so any "go to this file and this line and do this" would be great help....sorry for trying to make you guys do the work for me lol...still looking around as I speak trying to figure out how the coding exactly works.

thanks again

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/2 1:55

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Regrading the email address, when I used to admin another website, in cases like this, we used to create dummy email addresses that were linked to the site, so basically they just fell into our email black hole. As someone who knows XOOPS very well, there is really no other way of getting around this.

What version of XOOPS do you use? I will do it for you ;)

Yeshua
  • 2009/3/2 2:23

• Yeshua

• Just popping in

I've got version XOOPS 2.2.3 Final, so sure if you want to make the edits to the files and send them over or something. You could probably just use exactly what I said earlier. But please don't feel you have to do this or anything.

dummy address question again lol...to create the dummy, would I just make the address john.smith@mychurchdomain.com then? I'm not the official domain watcher or anything so I don't even know the info to ftp files or anything. I'm going to create the whole system on my mac then send the files and any other info to the person who does have the ftp access. So any email address creation type stuff I don't know....lol...one day I'll become the official webmaster, but not for a little bit I don't think.

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/2 2:30

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Do you have the profiles module enabled?

And yes, any emails sent to that address will just bounce :)

Yeshua
  • 2009/3/2 2:33

• Yeshua

• Just popping in

the one in /html/modules/profile ? ya I do have it installed and operating.

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/2 3:15

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Pm me your email address so I can send this updated module to you.

What I have done is this, I have added an extra option in the profile module so you can add your own text regarding the account being activated manually. So you can add whatever you like :)

The text will be displayed on the very last page of the registration process and nothing else.

Catz

Yeshua
  • 2009/3/2 3:32

• Yeshua

• Just popping in

I think I may have figured out a way to make multiple accounts on one email address. This does require 2 email addresses though.
1. create your first user with all real info
2. create your second user with bogus email
3. go to your phpMyAdmin
4. select your database that XOOPS is in (my case - "XoopChurch"
5. select "xoops_users" (or at least that is what it is for me) and click browse (right beside it)
6. select the username with the bogus address and click edit
7. now type in the real email address. I'm not sure is you can skip the email address, I imagine you can
8. click go to save!

and ta da! you now have 2 users with the same email! Maybe one day this might be incorporated into the program or a module or something! Hope this helps others too!

NOTICE--I have no idea about any repercussions that may occur. Please let me know if you do notice something though....won't hurt at all.

Catzwolf
  • 2009/3/2 4:09

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Well the only thing I can see is this, if user 1 wants to change their password (Email address is required to change it) it may cause an issue, I might try this later and let you know.

Login

Who's Online

431 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 431

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits