bentow
Short-Urls and .htaccess
  • 2008/12/9 16:59

• bentow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/11/13

Hello,

I`m writing this topic to know about everybody who wants short-urls on the website.

The best module to have this, in my opinion, is simplified_urls. But, i want to customize for my site.
I don't simply modify .htaccess, because i need to render imgs, a hrefs and others. So:

- Has anybody achieved to modify it, for personal urls?
Like: site.com/register for register.php
site.com/announce for modules/myAds/addannonces.php

Thanks.

bentow
Re: Short-Urls and .htaccess
  • 2008/12/9 17:04

• bentow

• Just popping in

Or, it would be better to build a website based on .htaccess, instead of writing a php script to modify on-the-fly all the tags i need (imgs, a hrefs, etc).

thanks

Rickb
  • 2008/12/23 18:11

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

I would suggest being carelfull not to use htaccess if you are planning to serve site content efficiently. Use PHP instead.

The downside to the .htaccess method is that the .htaccess file must be parsed by the server for statements on every request, including image requests and anything else. If you would not otherwise have a .htaccess file, the PHP method is less overhead.

bentow
  • 2008/12/24 1:47

• bentow

• Just popping in

You mean that it`s better to develop a module, make it fully functional and then work with SEO, by doing these soft plays with PHP and .htaccess like Shorturls or simplified urls do?

I was wondering what would be better, since i want to do a customized thing, like showing an AD title in the url instead of the id, same with the city and state.

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits