GPboarder
2.3.1 - Administrator username changed to Administra
  • 2008/10/16 15:28

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

This morning as I was working with my site I noticed that the Site Info block was displaying only "Administra" under areas like who's online, Webmasters, Top Posters etc.
When I check the profile, it has dropped "tor" from the end. I now have to log in as Administra.

I have not touched the database, only logged in by the usual means.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Advice welcome as always.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

Marco
Re: 2.3.1 - Administrator username changed to Administra
  • 2008/10/16 15:35

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

When I check the profile, it has dropped "tor" from the end. I now have to log in as Administra.

can you explain better? and what block did you activate and use?
Do synergy or die.

Marco
  • 2008/10/16 16:04

• Marco

• Home away from home

Quote:

Marco wrote:
Quote:

can you explain better? and what block did you activate and use?

hum, after re-read your post, it seems the word is truncated.
when do this occur, in what block, so i can replicate?
Do synergy or die.

GPboarder
  • 2008/10/16 17:41

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

When I noticed what was happening, I was trying to understand the date issue that I reported under another post.

I was viewing the profile of the Administrator account and making changes to the field I have called birthday.

I noticed the difference first in the Site Info block which shows the Webmasters.

Later I noticed that it was also changed in the profile. I tried logging out and back in. When I did, I had to use the truncated login. With the shortened username everything seems to be working just fine.

I updated all modules including the system yesterday afternoon after I did the upgrade.

GPboarder
  • 2008/10/19 3:25

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

The server at my host seems to be causing some other problems. I don't know if that my be to blame for the truncation.

Marco
  • 2008/10/19 8:16

• Marco

• Home away from home

i've trying to register a new acccount "Administrator" (with ext profile activated), and i get this message :
==> ERROR: Name is reserved.
and the system truncate
Go to System/Preferences/User Info Settings, and set Maximum length of username to more than the default 10.
marco
Do synergy or die.

yeppers
  • 2008/10/19 12:44

• yeppers

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/15

Quote:

Go to System/Preferences/User Info Settings, and set Maximum length of username to more than the default 10.

what good will that do?

maximum length should actually prevent you from typing more than 10 characters, it should never truncate what you type, that is the whole point of maximum length. is that how password works too? if i type too many characters does it truncate the password? if so then how would i know what my password is because it has been truncated.

seems maximum length is not being used correctly in this case.

Marco
  • 2008/10/19 13:44

• Marco

• Home away from home

@yeppers
i don't understand what you want to say. in every web system, if you set a field is 10 long, if you enter more than 10 characters, you can't enter more, so your word is truncated.
do you want to say there is a need of warning message?
Do synergy or die.

young
  • 2008/10/19 14:08

• young

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/16

Quote:

yeppers wrote:
Quote:

what good will that do?

maximum length should actually prevent you from typing more than 10 characters, it should never truncate what you type, that is the whole point of maximum length. is that how password works too? if i type too many characters does it truncate the password? if so then how would i know what my password is because it has been truncated.

seems maximum length is not being used correctly in this case.

if u has set the maximum lengh to 10, it will truncated when you update your profile even you don't change your user name. this because when you update it will update all the fields as well.

yeppers
  • 2008/10/19 15:04

• yeppers

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/9/15

no.. maximum length in a form field should determine how many characters you can type into that field. do you guys know basic HTML or what? or has HTML and basic programming been changed?

maximum characters in a form field does not mean it will be truncated.

does that mean the password field which has a maximum length of say 12 characters will be truncated if you enter a 16 character password? which effectively is changing your password to something different.

please go read HTML handbook.

if a field has maxlength of 10 characters it would be impossible for you to enter the word administrator because that is over 10 characters. the word is not being truncated in that case, it is simply stopping you from even typing in more than 10 characters. truncating means that a word or text will be cut off. ie a simple use of truncating is when a description is truncated in order to give you a summary of that description.

maxlength of 10 = you can NOT enter more than 10 characters, i mean physically you should not be able to type in more than 10 characters. but in this case you can enter more characters than the maxlength, but is being truncated, and that is not proper operation.

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits