tank1955
Requests to add more services to Video Tube
  • 2008/8/12 1:35

• tank1955

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/9/7 1

Many have asked if Video Tube can provide access to other video services besides YouTube. One of my primary concerns was I did not want to require the module user to have to sign up for any kind of special accounts to access API's, get a developer key and authentication code and so on.

What I have found so far is I believe I can access videos via RSS feed from dailymotion, metacafe and revver. The extent of how much content I can acquire from these sites will remain to be seen when I start development.

I did get some feedback from blip.tv who offer an API and the search results can be retrieved as a JSON feed similar to YouTube.

Once I have completed the current development and released Video Tube v1.7 I will begin working on the addition of other video services.

tank1955
Re: Requests to add more services to Video Tube
  • 2008/8/16 12:52

• tank1955

• Module Developer

I have been trying to add dailymotion videos to Video Tube as a trial and I am finding the addition of any services beyond YouTube is going to be quite challenging.

Some elements in the search result feed do not exist such as total search results.

Another problem is the RSS feed is in a format called MRSS (MediaRSS) which has some unique characteristics. To access all the info in the search result feed may require us to build our own RSS parser for the module. Existing parsers such as MagpieRSS do not fully support MRSS.

In building our own parser it may become a requirement to have PHP5 to use Video Tube 2.0 and higher.

More to come.

btesec
  • 2008/8/18 21:16

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

Hello,
Well we heard it here from tank1955. I certainly think that it is time to fully support php 5 since php4 has been deprecated by its developers. And certainly XOOPS fully supports it. Let's give it a try tank1955. We do expect video tube 1.7.

Thanks.

tank1955
  • 2008/8/22 0:58

• tank1955

• Module Developer

I now have Daily Motion completely installed in Video Tube v1.63 and it works great. Building the parser for the RSS feed they provide required using SimpleXML which is only available in PHP5.

Since many of those who are currently using Video Tube are still operating on PHP4 I feel I should at least try to figure out if there is a way to duplicate SimpleXML in a class written for PHP4.

If I am unsuccessful then the next release will be modified so if the PHP version on the site is less than 5.0.0 then certain features, such as Daily Motion, will be unavailable.

tank1955
  • 2008/8/23 1:16

• tank1955

• Module Developer

I have verified to my satisfaction that I can not duplicate the required simpleXML functionality in PHP4. Therefore the new video services (such as DailyMotion) being added to Video Tube will require PHP5 to function properly. When the module is installed or updated to version 1.63 or higher, a check is performed on your PHP version. If the PHP version is earlier than 5.0.0 then some features will be disabled.

Login

Who's Online

88 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 88

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits