Smirk
Is XOOPS capable to...
  • 2008/8/2 19:09

• Smirk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/8/2 1

Basically, I have a goal to create a web-site like kotaku.com and joystiq.com. Both of them are using Movable Type which has some essentials features these types of blogs need: an ability to share the rights with PARTICULAR users to post news, an ability for all users to register before posting comments along with adding avatar and filling custom fields, in other words – user profiles (I think it's called public registration, and I want only users with accounts to be able to post comments). These are 2 very needed feautures. Can XOOPS handle that? Maybe some plugins will work?
I’m soo tired searching for a CMS which can do those 2 things. Any advice on any CMS will be appreciated.

Anonymous
Re: Is XOOPS capable to...
  • 2008/8/3 7:59

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

If I've understood you correctly then yes, you can achieve all of that with xoops.

The XOOPS core handles user registration, user groups and many other site-wide features.

To the core you will need to add modules to add functionality and many modules have their own additional permission-based features.

I think that if it were me who was starting a new site using XOOPS I'd start with v2.3.0RC although the official stable version is 2.0.18.1

As for modules, there are a number a "blog" type of module, inc weblog and lifetype. I'd try the latter first as, IIRC, it's been coded with 2.3.0 in mind.

For news there is the ubiquitous "News" module.

You will also want to install the Protector module.

I'm sure that others will give you advice too

Welcome to xoops!

papershark
  • 2008/8/4 4:42

• papershark

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/8/4 2

A big hello to you all. I just want to say thanks in advance to you all, from the advice i have read so far im well on my way with xoops.

I have been a Web Designer for some time... but i'm semi new to development. i built a basic CMS with php and the developer toolbox in Dreamweaver. so i know (or at least appreciate), in a basic way, what is going on in PHP.

But i soon realized for my currant project that i was going to have to turn to something more capable than me. XOOPS looks fantastic and i'm very excited about using it.

The site that i am building i for a UK recruitment agency. i need it to do some simple things. basically have a jobs database that is search able by the public. one that is searchable by category and any which way that is common to this kind of company.

The only thing i can see as difficult here is that if you search by region it will return results that are close to the location listed in the search. a solution for that is most def way beyond me in php.

have a cv upload section... whereby someone could upload a word or pdf document to the database, along with a filled form and then send it on to an email. (im little worried about the secure way of doing this)

that and an easy CMS, to be used by everyday office staff, to alter some front-end pages.

if you can remember any discussions on this forum that cover this stuff before... or anything that you might think is worth me reading i would be grateful if you could post links here. many thanks in advance.

my basic background is in design, nothing really scares me when it comes to making stuff look good, and I'm more than happy to swap graphic design work for PHP advice and development help.

stefan88
  • 2008/8/4 5:09

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

and welcome to xoops. You may try Job Listings module for start...

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=108&lid=1338

Also you may try some of directory modules (mxdirectory and efqdirectory).Efqdirectory has custom fields, so it can be very flexible.

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits