Anonymous
Re: Hosting
  • 2008/6/1 10:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

Disappearing is just option

Anyway .. let say we need welcome module or just bulid-in block with the following:

1. Modify the system core for display this block after finish installation.

2. Prepare welcome message for users and other for webmaster.

3. Add this message inside lang file to be easy to translate from all local supports.

Runeher
  • 2008/6/1 10:54

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

I think this is to technical for new users... Many of them don't even know how to open a php file, at least not to begin with. So it would be easier to have it all in a module visisible only to them and which they can simply uninstall if they don't need it. You have to think rookie here

Anonymous
  • 2008/6/1 11:36

• Anonymous

• Since:

This idea drive me to think about another idea, it is demo data step during the installation, so webmaster can select YES for install demo blocks such as welcome block and others.

Demo blocks are custom blocks with demo data which can give good vision for new XOOPS users, so they will see whole XOOPS with many blocks after finish installation not just login block with white page !!

Runeher
  • 2008/6/1 14:36

• Runeher

• Module Developer

Good idea, because you and me don't want or need a welcome module, so an option to choose to install this module should be optional during setup... couldn't these block be a part of this module and show automatically up like the login block for users that have choosen this install?

btw...did you see my last post on prev. page... i edited it a bit...

Anonymous
  • 2008/6/1 15:48

• Anonymous

• Since:

yes, demo blocks will be show after installation as left/right/center blocks, this will give professional look for XOOPS for new users, and regarding welcome block I think will show after login.

Demo block option is not new idea, it is present in joomla and welcome block is present in nuke too

Lorem Ipsum Generator is nice tool and I will add it to ver 1.2 which will release soon .. thanks Runeher

Runeher
  • 2008/6/1 16:05

• Runeher

• Module Developer

Quote:
Demo block option is not new idea, it is present in joomla and welcome block is present in nuke too
... but missing with XOOPS

Maybe we should have some flash elements included, just to show what XOOPS can handle, besides it will make a profesional presentation of XOOPS too.

I think having a 'wow, cool!' presentation to new users will bring more members to our sites, if you know what i mean

anderssk
  • 2008/6/1 17:36

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

Sorry not to be in this tread - some people in Denmark enjoy the summer with high sun and blue sky
(Rune - are You in Denmark or Norway this weekend)

I really like the idea of demo-blocks - with or without flash elements.
I think that would be a great opportunity for new users!
The demoblocks can actually be used for "beginners first steps"

Runeher
  • 2008/6/1 18:01

• Runeher

• Module Developer

I'm digging out a pool in my backyard this weekend - in Denmark.. Too hot!! puh!

I'll try to get time to make a front page draft tonight and post it here tomorrow... then you'll understand better my thinking...

Runeher
  • 2008/6/2 3:22

• Runeher

• Module Developer

Ok... here is the first draft for a welcome module.. it's only the first draft and extremly open for suggestions... it's also a bit boring, but we'll spice it up a bit... i only linked Norway so far so you'll have to test in my cool language... Besides, there are no links to the tutorials yet, as we have to decide which to have... if you think it sucks, please say so, and if you like the idea, crawl out to comment and help decide what is going to be the final result...

I also put it on a site i'm going to make in a week or so, so i'm going to move it to spacedesign then, but this is to get a feeling what it would look like on a fresh install...

http://www.norskesnedkere.dk/

anderssk
  • 2008/6/2 6:46

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

I really like it. Nice work!
Maybee the dev-things is not for new users?

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits