razor1987
Directing Site To Homepage...
  • 2008/3/22 10:29

• razor1987

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/22

I've had a look round but cant see the answer to this question so here goes:

I've installed XOOPS and my homepage is:http://www.myhomepage.com/xoops-2.0.18.1/htdocs

How do i change it to www.myhomepage.com and get rid of the '/xoops2.0.18.1/htdocs' bit?

Thanks alot

Bleekk
Re: Directing Site To Homepage...
  • 2008/3/22 11:18

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/12/14

you have to upload only all files that are inside the htdocs folder to you server. you made a mistake by uploading the hole unzipped folder.

razor1987
  • 2008/3/24 0:45

• razor1987

• Just popping in

everything in the 'htdocs' folder, i put into my 'html' folder. didn't work for me.

confused!

Anonymous
  • 2008/3/24 10:21

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi razor1987,

Basically, to do what you want:

1. Move the whole directory structure of your website into your webspace's bottom-most (root) directory.

2. Edit your mainfile.php so that the "xoops_root_path" and "xoops_url" are correct for your new file-structure.

3. If you use the protector 3.x modules (if not, why not?!) then you might also have to edit mainfile.php for the "xoops_trust_path"

Everything else in mainfile.php should be okay.

Hope this helps

Mamba
  • 2008/3/24 10:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

The question is if you want to

a) move physically all the files, or
b) just have the URL as: www.myhomepage.com

In case of (a) follow the advice of other people above.

In case of (b) you need only to redirect the domain to your subdirectory. This will depend on the Host server. On couple of occasions I used www.1and1.com and it was only a question of pinpointing the domain to a particular subdirectory, and then modifying the mainfile.php:

// XOOPS Physical Path
// Physical path to your main XOOPS directory WITHOUT trailing slash

define('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH''/homepages/oops-2.0.18.1/htdocs');

// XOOPS Virtual Path (URL)
// Virtual path to your main XOOPS directory WITHOUT trailing slash

define('XOOPS_URL''http://www.myhomepage.com');

But I don't know if it works with all the Hosts.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

razor1987
  • 2008/3/24 11:26

• razor1987

• Just popping in

thanks alot both of you. I've sorted that now.

I'm a newbie to xoops, so here's my next issue:

Resized Image

That's what my homepage looks like.

The idea is to get it looking like this:

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4119

I've got the template & uploaded it, but don't know how to make it look like that.

thanks again, sorry to be such a newbie!

Mamba
  • 2008/3/24 13:17

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

What you showed us is the "Admin view".

The other one is the "User View"

While in the "Admin View", in order to see the "User View" you have to click on the "Home Page" link in the upper-right corner.

Or just type your URL:http://www.myhomepage.com

Also, if you want to have a different "theme", you need to:

* install the theme
* select it in your System / Preferences / General Settings
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2008/3/24 13:32

• Anonymous

• Since:

That's not your site's homepage - that's the admin panel index. Click on the "Homepage" link (rhs of the grey-bar) to see your homepage. It will probably have "Main Menu" (with one item under it saying "Home") and "User Menu" (links to admin, notifications, Inbox, account settings and logout).

You need some "modules" to add content - the download doesn't come with any modules because there are so many to choose from so choosing a default module set would be nigh-on impossible.

What do you want your site to have - Forums, News, Articles, Links, Downloads? Let us know and we'll point you in the right direction on the modules front.

You will certainly want to download GIJOE's protector module fromhttp://xoops.peak.ne.jp/ - go for v3.16beta as it's absolutely rock-solid (in my experience) despite being a beta-version. GIJOE is a fabulous coder and wouldn't have released anything that he wasn't satisfied with. There is an installation guide that you can download from there. Follow it to the letter as this is a not a standard module install.

It gets much easier after this - honest

You will also need a "theme" - this controls what your site looks like. IIRC, you'll have "Default" and "Zetagenesis" to choose from as part of the original download. Start be looking at some of the recent entries in the "Themes Library" (look in the "Community Menu" on the left). There's some nice-looking recent ones - take a peek at the "Kubrick" ones from a month or two ago - but take your time.

Tip:
If you look at themes from before early/mid 2006 then see if they are coded for the bottom-centre, bottom-right and bottom-left blocks that were introduced with XOOPS v2.0.14. You can check by downloading the theme and comparing its "theme.html" file with the Default theme's one. If you like a them and it doesn't have the coding then don't worry as its easily added.

HTH

affiliates
  • 2008/3/25 16:36

• affiliates

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/25

I have the same problem with my dot808.com and all I need to know, is the answers posted here will help me?. Because even 'My Homepage' goes back to 'Admin View'. Please help.

If it is then I need to reread it again. Thank you.

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits