Xoonoops
Postnuke 2 Xoops?
  • 2008/3/3 15:20

• Xoonoops

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/3 1

Hello - I am new to Xoops, but have made som postnuke sites. It seams to me, that there are a lot more going on here at Xoops, than in the pn community although we are waiting for pn 0.8.

I think i would like to give XOOPS a try, but is there any way to convert a pn site to Xoops?

I would use my own domaine, but i have a lot of text, that i would like to save. Is this possible? I know that XOOPS original are building on PN so I hope........

mawi27
Re: Postnuke 2 Xoops?
  • 2008/3/4 21:18

• mawi27

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/1/1 1

Hi Xoonoops,

still waiting on pn 0.8?! I have left pn more than 1 year ago and it was anounced ever since then...

When i changed to XOOPS i had to convert the data manually. Of course it depends on the modules you are using. That is because your text is stored in a module, not in XOOPS itself...
If there are modules very similar for pn and XOOPS maybe you find a migration support on their site but i think chances are zero.

What i did was:

1. find the appropriate modules for XOOPS (forum, news etc.). Play a bit around, examine the db structure ...
2. export the pn database
3. manually edit the data files to match the structure of the new modules using a db tool like ms access or openoffice.base
4. Re-Import the patched data files to XOOPS db
5. Fine Tune your data in the XOOPS tables

I have done this ONLY for the content modules like forum and news. Never tried to do it with the system tables like User Profiles or config. Can't imagine that this would work...

Of course you wanna do this on a test installation first, i am using XAMPP on my local machine for this purpose.
When everything works fine on the test installation you only have to move the data from test to prod environment and you're ready

In my opinion it is worth the pain, as i think XOOPS is much faster and easier to understand than pn.

BTW don't forget the last step:
--
Match Dart!
Darts Ranking, News, Videos, Forum and more

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits