CyberGuin
Sudden weird characters in Wordpress Module
  • 2008/2/28 0:53

• CyberGuin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/16

Hi,

I've been running a XOOPS site for a client for a while now, and all of a sudden her blog posts are replacing apostrophes with characters like –. It was all fine this morning when she checked, and then BAM, this afternoon all posts right back to the start have all these strange characters in.

Nothing was done to the site during that time by my client or myself... it just suddenly at some point decided to do this.

The character set is ISO-88591 for the main template, but when I change the View/Character encoding to UTF-8 in Firefox it shows the apostrophes fine!!

I've asked my host provider, Prime Hosting, whether they did anything with the server on their side during the day, ie with the php ini file or something, but they have advised that nothing was done to the server.

So, if they didn't do anything, and nothing was done to the site, why/how did it start showing up these weird characters? And how do I return it back to normal?

I would really appreciate a quick response to this if anyone out there can help... You can take a look at it yourself at: w w w.euphrosenelabon.com/modules/wordpress/

Thanks,

Tracy

skenow
Re: Sudden weird characters in Wordpress Module
  • 2008/2/28 1:18

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

My guess is the author is not creating/editing the post in their browser. Rather, they are using a desktop application, like M$ Word, which uses non-standard character entities, especially for 'curly quotes', and then pasting the text into their post. Or, they may even be using an email client that does the same thing.

It has nothing to do with your host or site. Find out how the author is editing and adding posts and you will discover the source. As for cleaning it up, you will have to edit the posts and correct the characters.

Edit: I see what you mean about changing the character encoding. You might change the character set by editing your theme :

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits