Kumar
www.Xoopsaddons.org hacked?
  • 2008/1/4 3:48

• Kumar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/8 1

Today the xoopsaddons.org displays the following message.

XOOPS Addons has been closedfollowing a hack from a callous individual.

It will hopefully return at a later date.

XOOPS Addons Team

Recently i have downloaded lots of modules from xoopsaddons.
Is it secure using the modules?

Mamba
Re: www.Xoopsaddons.org hacked?
  • 2008/1/4 6:01

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

This is a strange thing. When I went there yesterday, there was a message from Plesk saying that
Quote:
This is the Pleskā„¢ default page
If you see this page it means:

1) hosting for this domain is not configured
or
2) there's no such domain registered in Plesk.

For more information please contact Administrator.

Then couple of hours later it was the message that you've mentioned.

Now, the same Plesk message is on:

http://xoopswiki.org/

Does it mean that the XOOOPSWiki has also been hacked?

Or did the administrator shut it down?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

figu78
  • 2008/1/4 9:42

• figu78

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/19

Very bad news......I think that we need xoopsaddons Up ASAP. There's no Backups??? how many times this things will happen??.

Mamba
  • 2008/1/4 20:11

• Mamba

I'm sure they have backups. But since this Website (as well as the xoopswiki) is run by the ImpressCMS people, the question is if they will bother to restore the backup, or will they just go on and restore the backup as Addons at ImpressCMS?

The weird story is that Darcy was working on updating the Module Repository on www.xoops.org, and she posted the files listings from SourceFourge she was working on (she was comparing the files stored on SourceForge to the files we have on XOOPS to the files that are on XoopsAddons), on the www.xoops.org wiki which was visible to everybody, and it was a work in progress.

The XoopsAddons was the most up to date repository, so it was important to compare it to them and see what we are missing. Then suddenly day later the whole XoopsAdons Websites goes down. Was it because somebody didn't want XOOPS to have all the latest modules listed on XOOPS? Is there any correlation to what Darcy was doing, or was it just a pure coincidence?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

joninzar
  • 2008/1/5 1:46

• joninzar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/7

Hi.

Quote:
Is it secure using the modules?

Sure!!!

Well, I think that you know now that the problem could be another.
Those modules are secure. NO problem

script_fu

God forbid you give a link to the addons site from here with out getting admonished. Darcy had the #OOPS# link to addons site removed from the module repository on this site? Wtf???

Stupid stupid stupid...

link

vaughan
  • 2008/1/5 12:51

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

I'm sure they have backups. But since this Website (as well as the xoopswiki) is run by the ImpressCMS people, the question is if they will bother to restore the backup, or will they just go on and restore the backup as Addons at ImpressCMS?

no it will be restored as XOOPS Addons. why can't you people just give it a break? we have said before & I will repeat it yet again.

Just because some of us have moved onto a new project, We still support XOOPS, and we will continue to do so. we just won't be supporting xoops.org. We still have clients who use XOOPS software and not all those will wish to move to impressCMS.

Quote:

The weird story is that Darcy was working on updating the Module Repository on www.xoops.org, and she posted the files listings from SourceFourge she was working on (she was comparing the files stored on SourceForge to the files we have on XOOPS to the files that are on XoopsAddons), on the www.xoops.org wiki which was visible to everybody, and it was a work in progress.

The XoopsAddons was the most up to date repository, so it was important to compare it to them and see what we are missing. Then suddenly day later the whole XoopsAdons Websites goes down. Was it because somebody didn't want XOOPS to have all the latest modules listed on XOOPS? Is there any correlation to what Darcy was doing, or was it just a pure coincidence?

well everybody seems to love replicating others hard work, i'm not even going to bother getting into that argument again with regards to why addons was built for the community and was to be the official XOOPS repository.. blah blah blah.. don't blame us for that.

XOOPS addons will remain as XOOPS addons, a module repository for XOOPS modules. why Darcy removed the link to XOOPS addons is out of pure spite because it was not officially run by any xoops.org staff.. we certainly get the impression that for anything to be considered as an official resource of XOOPS it *HAS* to be owned and controlled by xoops.org.. blah blah blah.

who cares right? it's not us that suffers from the spite of others, it's you the users & community and those many people that just want to build their websites. those same people do not care about politics, they just want to be able to find what they want without receiving multiple amounts of PM messages from Darcy and other people everytime they post a link to XOOPS addons or xoopswiki stating that they should not post links to that repository, and please don't say that this is not happening.

and on the other side of the fence, insinuate about coincidences that XOOPS addons was hacked or closed because darcy was copying it. let me put another version to it. (purely a possibility but certainly not FACT) i'm simply offering another alternative because we seem to always get blamed for things out of our control because something happens here. so here it is.

maybe xoopsaddons & xoopswiki were hacked or removed because xoops.org or admin of xoops.org don't like the fact that someone did a better job of building a repository but refused to hand full control of that project to DJ, so maybe they were the ones sabotaging things and making it look like something else. so that we get blamed for everything and XOOPS gets some sympathy for replicating everyones work (NOTE. I KNOW THAT IS NOT THE CASE, or is it? lol. i'm just showing you that whilst you may make insinuations and guesses yourselves, there is also the other side of the coin where we could make those insinuations aswell so please STOP.)

please Mamba & Darcy stop with your paranoid delusions, and stop trying to pass the blame or read into things that aren't actual FACT. you could easily contact any one of us for explanations without retorting to innaccurate insinuations yet again. But we will not respond to stupid comments in PM's like ones received saying that anyone on the impress team should resign from XOOPS. there is no law saying you can only support 1 software. open source is about collaboration. and that does not mean that you can't be admin on more than 1 project because you consider it a conflict of interest.. if it was a closed source software that is released by purchasing it, then that would be a different matter, but certainly not the same as open-source collaboration.

trabis
  • 2008/1/5 14:18

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

Or was it because somebody did want to have all the latest modules listed on XOOPS and found an easy way to do it?

Mamba
  • 2008/1/5 15:17

• Mamba

Quote:
Just because some of us have moved onto a new project, We still support XOOPS, and we will continue to do so. we just won't be supporting xoops.org.

XOOPS is xoops.org!

You sound like a boyfriend talking to his girlfriend: "I'm breaking up with you but I still want to have sex with you"

You've created o fork for yourself, then move on! Don't create this destructive behavior where you're breaking up but still are stocking your ex-girlfriend! That's not healthy for you! Let it go and focus on your fork...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

vaughan
  • 2008/1/5 16:08

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

XOOPS is XOOPS (the software, the core, the modules, & the themes)

if that didn't exist none of the others would either. xoops.org is nothing without it's software. xoops.org is only the official support site, the home of the software. nothing more.

any website that offers support for XOOPS software is supporting the XOOPS SOFTWARE, they are not necessarily supporting xoops.org.

it's all about the software.

and i'm not being destructive, you made the insinuation not me. i'm just giving you the official reason to quench those allegations.

someone asked if xoops.org was hacked, then all these insinuations that were nothing to do with the question came out, from people who were not in a position to make those allegations based on no information.

i have responded to the original question & your allegation, and being as 3 people run xoopsaddons who would know what had actually occured and why etc. myself being 1 of those 3, then I think I am actually qualified to answer that question..

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits