tonyo
Newbb installation problem
  • 2007/12/29 21:03

• tonyo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/12/19

Hi, not sure what I've done wrong here so I hope you can help.

I have downloaded Mithrandir's Community Pack which I believe contains the Newbb 2.02 Forum.

Anyway, I have copied the various folders (including newbb) from the zip file into my modules folder and have now been able to install "Content" and "MultiMenu" successfully.

However, there is no sign of Newbb in the modules list.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Tony

stefan88
Re: Newbb installation problem
  • 2007/12/29 21:55

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

if it is 2.02, it is discontinued. better go for cbb...

tonyo
  • 2007/12/29 22:05

• tonyo

• Just popping in

Thanks Stefan, but now I'm really confused. The community pack I'm referring to is the one that is linked from the latest XOOPS download page at:

https://xoops.org/modules/core/

I just assumed (as any reasonable person might) that I was being offered the latest version of the community packs with the latest version of Xoops.

The link says "XOOPS 2.2 Module Packages".

If that page (THE main page on the whole of this web site) is out of date, do I need to find a more up to date version of Newbb?

Also, what is cbb?

Sorry to sound like a newbie who knows nothing about anything but this is forum is called "Beginner's Corner".

I am willing to learn though.

Many thanks,

Tony

charpres
  • 2007/12/30 0:30

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

Quote:

tonyo wrote:
I just assumed (as any reasonable person might) that I was being offered the latest version of the community packs with the latest version of Xoops.

[A group chuckle goes here]

Yes, that would seem reasonable, but welcome to the confusing world of Xoops.

1. There is a fork of XOOPS that is supposedly abandoned. I say "supposedly" because there are still many people using that fork that need to be supported and because there is a recent update to it that takes care of some security issues This is good on the one hand, but makes it seem all the more a viable and recent release on the other hand. So, here is confusing XOOPS rule #1: the abandoned fork has more recent release numbers. So, 2.2x is the bad fork while 2.0x is the good fork. So, for starters make sure you are using 2.0.17 or 2.0.17.1 or 2.0.18.

2. The original forum of choice for XOOPS was Newbb. The forum of choice is now CBB. However, CBB must go into a module directory calle "newbb" on your host server. So, the module directory is called newbb but that is no longer what you are running. CBB 3.08 is probably is one you want, even though there is a recent 4.0 that is a bit problematice. By the way, don't forget all the other files you have to upload to make CBB work. Those files take up maybe around 4 times more space than the CBB module itself. Make sense?

All of us who have stuck around through the years understand these quirks. We do NOT, however, understand how any new user is EVER supposed to "get" XOOPS under the present circumstances. It must be frustrating as hell. We talk to excess about how all this is supposed to be fixed so that we no longer drive away potential users, but the talk goes on.

A final word: XOOPS is worth the trouble if you can just tough it out through the learning curve.

tonyo
  • 2007/12/30 2:26

• tonyo

• Just popping in

Thanks Charpres. I think I'm beginning to understand. All I wanted was a web site to champion a mostly forgotten kind of heart disease, that could offer a CMS, forums and blogs and which was easy to install and not too techy. That's all.

I did some research before going ahead with XOOPS but have I chosen wisely? I've been trying to install this thing for over a month and I think I may be in a bit of a mess now.

Can anyone advise? Would an option other than XOOPS be more appropriate to a non-techy like me? If so, can anyone give me a pointer as to what might do the trick or is there something I can do to magically get my forum and blogs up and working with Xoops.

Many thanks,

Tony
www.prinzmetal.org

script_fu

Hi,

Welcome to xoops!

sato-san the admin of

http://www.xoops-magazine.com/modules/newbb/

Has prepared the latest versions of all the best modules packs.

These packs were hand picked by a lot of people here and at xoopsinfo.com

These are the modules you should use starting out with xoops.

After you download the packs make sure you do a search for newer versions before you install them. I always like to do a search on anything new before I install them on a new site.

The best way to search XOOPS or any other site is use google...

module name site:xoops.org

Or search for an installed module on other sites thru google for examples on how people are using them.

/modules/module name/

Never use anything with an b or rc in the naming convention of the module on a live site until you have tested and re tested it.

Good luck...

script_fu

I think the discussion on xoopsinfo about the module packs would be very relevent.

charpres
  • 2007/12/30 21:58

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

Quote:

tonyo wrote:
Would an option other than XOOPS be more appropriate to a non-techy like me?

The only competition to XOOPS is Joomla, IMHO.

I even made a decision at one point to switch. I bought books on Joomla and installed a test site.

I have to say, I just don't get Joomla. Maybe it's because I'm used to the way XOOPS works. I have trouble doing even the most basic things with Joomla because the underlying way Joompla works seems very counter-intuitive to me.

There are other CMS systesms, of course. But I would stick with Xoops, especially if you are already a bit along on the learning curve.

tonyo
  • 2008/1/6 13:01

• tonyo

• Just popping in

Thanks chaps, you've been most helpful. I have now installed the latest stuff and it works well.

Maybe someone ought to update that link on the XOOPS download page though.

It's the one that says "XOOPS 2.2 Module Packages (5)".

Apart from being very frustrating and a complete waste of time for new XOOPS users like me, sato-san and the other good people who created the latest packages must me really cross that all of their efforts are hidden while the out of date stuff that doesn't work anymore still get's center stage.

Many thanks,

Tony :)

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits