GPboarder
XOOPS 2.2.3 Final - To downgrade or not?
  • 2007/11/23 4:27

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

In October of 2006 I was introduced to XOOPS. It was as easy as pushing a button in the control panel of my host company and there it was. With 0 programming experience, I was pleased.

Now I am reading that there are issues with version 2.2.3 that apparently existed when it was installed for me.

I would like to make some changes, add some themes, another module etc, but am quite paralyzed with fear to do anything at the moment.

My question is:

If I am experiencing no issues with 2.2.3, should I downgrade?

Am I sitting on a timebomb here?
Does downgrading work well?
Who is willing to take on this project for a fee?

The site is small in comparison to most with under 100 users and under 1000 posts/replies.

There is a question of security however so I will need to speak personally to anyone interested.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

Northern
Re: XOOPS 2.2.3 Final - To downgrade or not?
  • 2007/11/23 7:07

• Northern

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/12/26

Most of use have been in your shoes, with little to no experiance. but with time and assistance from others, we managed to make things work, and teach our selves new things.

To be blunt and frank about it, ALL versions of XOOPS have isues. the next version has the fix but then a new issue pops up, its a never ending cycle.
as for 2.2.3, its not a died end road, many users still have it, but most have updated to 2.2.4 or 2.2.5

as for making changes...
dont be afraid to. just remember to make a back up of your files and db.
then add your modules,themes, edit files if you like, knowing if you mess somthing up, you can fix it with your saved ( backed up ) files and db ( bata base ).

now for your questions...

Quote:

granted the 2.2 versions are not the offical versions, but they do hold a great advantage over the 2.0's.

so heres my question..
why replace somthing thats not broken?

Quote:

Im not to sure on the next release of any 2.2 version of xoops, but with enuff people using it, you would think there will be one..
also keep in mind the 2.2 will always be on the back burner sence its not the " offical " version.
but to murge the 2.0 and 2.2 there will be a 2.3

Quote:

it works, youll need to be careful tho...
once you get it down to 2.0.13, youll need to upgrade to the cerrent "stable version"

Quote:

when you put money into it, any one and evey one will become a expert on this, but the true people will just do it, because they know how and with no cost.

Quote:
The site is small in comparison to most with under 100 users and under 1000 posts/replies.

we all start somewhere, some take off quick, and some take there time, some like large sites, and others like to keep them small and personal.

Quote:
There is a question of security however so I will need to speak personally to anyone interested.

Understandable... thats why we have Pm's and Emails.

Marc.

Quote:
by GPboarder on 2007/11/22 19:27:20

In October of 2006 I was introduced to XOOPS. It was as easy as pushing a button in the control panel of my host company and there it was. With 0 programming experience, I was pleased.

Now I am reading that there are issues with version 2.2.3 that apparently existed when it was installed for me.

I would like to make some changes, add some themes, another module etc, but am quite paralyzed with fear to do anything at the moment.

My question is:

irmtfan
  • 2007/11/23 8:17

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i my experiences with some high traffic websites. there is not any serious problem with 2.2+ versions
so why waste your time and mess into downgrade and upgrade when there will be a 2.3 version to integrate 2.0 and 2.2

nachenko
  • 2007/11/23 8:56

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

I managed a congress with 2.2.3 in a shared hosting. It had lots of traffic (peak of 25,000 pageviews in a single day). I had to patch some bits because of login problems, but on the whole, it worked well.

If you find problems, you should look at the 2.2.5 patch, read what's new on it and consider going into it. If you're not having problems, it's safer to stay quiet.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

wizanda
  • 2007/11/23 9:49

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Most of the features of 2.2 are required and are wanted in 2.3……me personally is sticking with 2.2.5z and continue working on that….

Northern
  • 2007/11/23 9:51

• Northern

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/12/26

2.2.5z ?

inlight'n me wizanda

wizanda
  • 2007/11/23 10:15

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Quote:

Northern wrote:
2.2.5z ?

inlight'n me wizanda

My SVN copy of Xoops
Its the copy i use and fix, change log is to large to mention....yet some are Smarty latest, all files stripped, Zlib globally (including Smarty prefilter plugins for real time content) instead of gzip.....tpl instead of html for templates...includeq in templates..... + loads more....

blindman
  • 2007/11/23 19:16

• blindman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/26

Great wizanda.
I am a 2.2 fun too.
Stable enough for me (I have never experienced any trouble with this version).
I want xoopser to know that actually some people have good sites with 2.2.
I just cannot imagine a XOOPS site without themable admin (very professional good impression ), blocks instances - which make a site very, very configurable. I have made XOOPS site that you never guess is CMS made.
2.2 branch have more advantages than wick points (if has any).
Don't follow me. I'm lost too.

GPboarder
  • 2007/11/25 2:41

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

Thanks for all the great advice.

I'll stick with 2.2. I have been making use of the extended profiles and don't want to give that up.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

tzvook
  • 2007/11/25 13:55

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:
i my experiences with some high traffic websites. there is not any serious problem with 2.2+ versions
so why waste your time and mess into downgrade and upgrade when there will be a 2.3 version to integrate 2.0 and 2.2

Yep, I only work with the 2.2.x branch and for 2 years am wondering where are those disadvantages ...

Quote:
I just cannot imagine a XOOPS site without themable admin (very professional good impression ), blocks instances ...

Oh yeah , and the list is long ... quite long ...
I downgraded once and after 2 days upgraded again (restored db + files) ... and since can't look @ the 2.0 series anymore ...

I do hope every improvement from the 2.2.x series will be present in the 2.3 series.

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits