script_fu
Who duty is it to protect xoops users from third party sites?

Say a XOOPS user recommends a site for what ever reason based on their opinion. Could another user not recommended the same site based on their opinion?

Who protects the users?

vaughan
Re: Who duty is it to protect xoops users from third party sites?
  • 2007/11/6 0:27

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

yes users can give opinions on sites, whether good or bad.

constructive criticism is always welcomed by many.

it is upto the users to decide whether to use a website or not, but they should not base their decision just on reviews alone.. some opinions could be biased.

the only time i would be wary about visiting a site is if someone reported that it has a lack of security or moral obligation.. ie. the site is used for phishing, it has hidden scripts that try to collect data, they don't adhere to privacy laws or data protection act.

but overall, the users have to protect themselves. all we can do is advise them as best we can with the information we have. butr we are not responsible for users opinions unless they are known to be innacurate, in which case the innacuracies should be highlighted.

Anonymous
  • 2007/11/6 8:57

• Anonymous

• Since:

Each users' posts are their own and xoops.org is not responsible for them, unless they are libelous, defamatory deliberately provocative or risk xoops.org being taken into disrepute.

In these cases the moderators will intervene as necessary.

Bender
  • 2007/11/6 16:59

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:
Posted by Northern:
Who has the key to delete posts? or topics on that matter... here on xoops.org...

is it right for a theme designer to have the right to delete a post if not a topic to save face?

Granted this designer has helped alot, but what they have done does not doesnt give them rights to do what a moderator could do.

Why do i post this?
I good friend of mine and many others, has been done wrong buy a fellow xoopster....
they said one thing and then once you agreed to it, it changed and became something else...

And I would like insight on this...

Ive sat quietly. and done my own thing, but im tired of this

the XOOPS based site has much explaining to do.

Oh and delete this if you wish, but it will be posted again, and again, and yet again till the wrong has been fixed.

Marc.

I answer this here since there is no need to run multiple threads on the same topic:

Marc,

we have had this dilemma in the past. I say we as in "we the old moderator team" and to be honest the current moderators are doing the right thing.

Please read, think and than be angry with me

I personally do respect as much one side as i do respect the other. I have no quirrels with Billy, you or the the third person. But the point is ... to protect x.o from legal action this will not be seen here most likely in the way it was originally posted.

I can only advise you to take legal advice(since you say you have a contract), fight it out in court, bring back the bullethole-proof result and post it then again. Same advise has been given in the past in one or two other cases.
(although i am not sure how much was done to resolve this peacefull which should be the prefered way of course ... so maybe give it another shot?)

Please understand: Its not about not trusting or not believing - its about opening up the site to legal action or not.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits