Dave_L
Web Developer Summit
  • 2007/10/28 2:19

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I will be attending a two-day Web Developer Summit hosted by Microsoft in Redmond, Washington, on Mon Oct 29 and Tue Oct 30.

If you have any questions or points that might be interesting to raise at the event, please post them.

Catzwolf
Re: Web Developer Summit
  • 2007/10/28 2:42

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Dave good luck at the summit and can you ask Bill if he has any interest in taking over Xoops? No but seriously, have a good time and don't fall asleep (lol done that a few times myself).

Catz

Dave_L
  • 2007/10/31 11:42

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

A manager in the Microsoft Open Source Software Lab told me that XOOPS is one of the applications they use to benchmark the performance of the Windows implementations of PHP and MySQL.

They're also interested in seeing XOOPS support MS SQL Server, in addition to MySQL, and they offered to help with that.

The purpose of the summit, in my opinion, was to aid their strategy of encouraging the development and use of open source software on Windows (which means increased sales of Windows).

http://microsoft.com/opensource/

script_fu

Thanks for shareing this information Dave. MS has been doing alot for open source lately.

On another note I will be setting up my first XOOPS based site on a windows platform this weekend.

BlueStocking

Quote:

They're also interested in seeing XOOPS support MS SQL Server, in addition to MySQL, and they offered to help with that.

Their MS SQL server literally bombed.

The plot thickens....

I wonder how many people know when you go with their opensource program you get their ms sql server and a free dot.com thrown in.

Now, if one could just import their existing MySQL data into their MS Sql server they really wouldn't need XOOPS anymore would they?

Very interesting....
Very interesting, indeed.

The wolf is at the door!
Knock, Knock, Knock...

BlueStocking
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

incama
  • 2007/10/31 18:30

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Normally I have no hard feelings hearing the name of a commercial company, but MS always makes my hair stand up in my neck and a breeze of cold air fills the room. Mm,.dunno why.
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

Catzwolf
  • 2007/11/1 2:07

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Dave_L wrote:
A manager in the Microsoft Open Source Software Lab told me that XOOPS is one of the applications they use to benchmark the performance of the Windows implementations of PHP and MySQL.

The purpose of the summit, in my opinion, was to aid their strategy of encouraging the development and use of open source software on Windows (which means increased sales of Windows).

http://microsoft.com/opensource/

A lot of people may dislike MS, but to be honest Computing would not be as far as it is now in many ways if not for them.

In addition to MS sql server I would like to see many other database support in the future, for example Oracle and Mysqli.

I suggest that you could possibly talk to Mekdrop (I could get in touch with him on your behalf) as I know that he has implemented a who load of Database classes to Zarilia. (MS and Oracle being two of them).

Catz

incama
  • 2007/11/1 5:06

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:

A lot of people may dislike MS,...

Now that's an understatement
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

Catzwolf
  • 2007/11/1 5:13

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

incama wrote:
Quote:

A lot of people may dislike MS,...

Now that's an understatement

Probably, but still 80%+ of computers has MS software so.....

Better the devil you know I guess.

web-M
  • 2007/11/1 10:46

• web-M

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/2 2

Quote:

script_fu wrote:
MS has been doing alot for open source lately.

Well the European Commity has won a trail against MS. Which had to do with the sales of IE, mediaplayer etc. that client had to bought when they use MS windows.
So the source code has to come public (when the get € 10000,-) per piece. And MS has to pay a big price for disobaying the rules. MS has accepted this. And thus it wil lose a bit of its monopoly.

And I hope that will give more opportunities for development of open source applications.

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits