nachenko
Plesk, file permissions via PHP and a pain in the ass
  • 2007/10/29 18:02

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Hi everyone.

First thing first. Plesk is a PAIN IN THE ASS.

OK, now for the business. I'm using RMSoft's RMDirectory to show some books in this site:

www.anince.es

I upload images. Images load fine. Thumbs are created. Thumbs are created fine.

Then, the pain in the ass.

These are the permissions of the thumbs created by RMDirectory:

What does it mean?

It means that only the PHP script is able to read this file. The browser itslef is not allowed to see the image. I have a thumbnail that can't be seen by anyone, EVEN ME. I can't even download it via FTP, or change permissions same way. I don't know whether I can use "chmod" PHP function. I go to Plesk control panel, try to change permissions from it's file manager, guess what? Permission denied.

I have only seen this kind of absessive paranoia in Plesk control panels. So, WTF can I do to change the permissions of MY OWN THUMBNAILS?

seth_sd
Re: Plesk, file permissions via PHP and a pain in the ass
  • 2007/10/29 18:29

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Agreed, although my pain in the ASS is usually CPanel. For this reason I have started using hurricane Electric -http://www.he.net. You only get a shell account and nothing else...No Cpanel, no plesk just SSH thank god!

Anyway, I have noticed some funky things that happen with imagemajik and extgallery and RMSoft gallery where they don't handle the conversion of large files. With extgallery in particular I get similar permissions problems.

I found a utility that does batch resizing in Ubuntu that has just been a serious lifesaver. I do this before uploading my photos. If you use Ubuntu check this out for batch resizing photos -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207675&highlight=batch+resize+photo

Note the 5th post by "mcduck"
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

nachenko
Re: Plesk, file permissions via PHP and a pain in the ass
  • 2007/10/29 18:37

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Thanks, but the code works fine. I managed to give thumbs proper permissions using "umask" PHP function, but it still doesn't work.

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits