Will_H
W.I.P. but am I wasting my time?
  • 2007/10/12 14:48

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I am spending a lot of time designing XOOPS Gaming themes like this:

Resized Image

I am no longer giving my themes away, but my question is this. If I continue to develop themes like this, would it be a waste of time? I would prefer to focus on areas that are in demand, and I only know of 2 dozen or so gaming sites built on XOOPS.

So my question is, should I develop these types of themes for XOOPS, and offer them up for sale, or should I focus on business designs only?

TIA for any feedback.

seth_sd
Re: W.I.P. but am I wasting my time?
  • 2007/10/12 15:07

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

From the perspective of not giving away themes for free I would imagine that business/professional themes would make more sense.

If a business were to roll-out an intranet or just a regular site on the net, paying a few hundred dollars for a good theme is nothing.

Out of curiosity, what is your thinking on the cost of a custom theme?

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Will_H
  • 2007/10/12 15:11

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I don't disclose my prices in public, I would prefer to keep competition down between myself and other designers if at all possible. This way we all maintain an amicable atmosphere.

I will however PM you with these details.

script_fu

You are not wasting your time Will. Thats the furthest from the truth. You have your future and your families in the palm of your hand. All you half to do is adjust some things and keep drawing with photoshop. Try google for "mascot artist" this is where you want to start and hone your skills. Also logos are another spot that you can refine.

Heck it wont be long and you will be doing battle over at the sitepoint contest forum. This is where you need to be hanging out. You can learn from all the smart people making the worlds websites look much better. Try your hand at some of the real contests. Understand how people approach business design relating to logos and stuff. You need to work under a lil pressure from other designers. This will give you structure and teach you how to meet deadlines. This is how you learn this is how you succeed.

Teach yourself more man because your theme design is really starting to look hot! I think you need to do more graphic rich themes. Much more elaborate than your doing now turn it up a notch bring on the heat. Very intricate graphics with fancy borders and all. You need to brighten up the colors full force. Dont dumb down the colors brighten them up. Make the colors stand out use stuff that helps you with colors. Dont worrie about sigs you have proved you can make renders with the best of them. You need to apply what you learned to rendering headers for websites.

You have a true gift not many people can do what your doing. Bring on the heavy stuff man. You need to get the wow factor going on. Once your graphics are over the top / off the hook / the bomb then you scale back.

Then Client & Co will be able to see a very graphic rich portfolio. Don't think for one second people are going to buy just simple business themes. There looking for hot navs & menus you know dude. Roll it out...

Keep the colors bright think XOOPS mexico colors. Those guys know how to use bright color to their advantage and it shows...

Website color schemes

Join Sitepoint Contests

Mascot Artist

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits