arie1985
Translate my website to other languages than English
  • 2007/9/26 9:59

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/30

I'd like to translate my website to other languages than English. Does XOOPS provide a feature where I can just enter the 'new' translated text and then I will have the website in other language, or do I have to do it all by myself and 'create' a new 2nd website of my website in order to do a such thing?

Thanks in advance

JMorris
Re: Translate my website to other languages than English
  • 2007/9/26 10:10

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

There are a few multi-language hacks available for XOOPS, but I've found most, if not all, of these hacks do not translate all of your content.

The easiest way I've found to translate your entire site is to make use of Google's translation services. If you look athttp://xoopsinfo.com (top left corner under logo), you can see a quick and easy theme hack that works quite well. Just view the source of the page to see how the code works.

HTH
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

arie1985
  • 2007/9/26 10:14

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Hi JM

Thank you for answering but maybe my question wasn't explained very well.

My question is how to implement the translation into the website, does XOOPS provide you with a kind of feature such as duplicating your website?

My question isn't how to translate however

Thanks

JMorris
  • 2007/9/26 10:26

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

arie1985 wrote:

My question is how to implement the translation into the website, does XOOPS provide you with a kind of feature such as duplicating your website?

My question isn't how to translate however

Thanks

If you are meaning to show the translated text directly on your site, yes, but it's not 100%. Search for multi-language hack on this site.

If you are meaning to completely duplicate your site, yes, but that is very bad for search engine rankings, even if in a different language. Search for multi-site hack on this site.

Hope I understood you better.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

arie1985
  • 2007/9/26 10:29

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Hi again JM and thanks for your answer, you did understand my intention this time.

You say I have to search for multi-language package, so it means there is a such thing which can help me do that, so thanks!

In addition, if you have any recommendations or suggestions for the best package that I should use for this purpose please let me know. I know I can search by myself but nothing is better than a recommendation from somebody who already knows what needs to be known :)

Thanks again!

JMorris
  • 2007/9/26 10:34

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

There is the XOOPS Multilanguages package from SmartFactory that works pretty good, but again, it doesn't provide 100% translation.

Something important to note, XOOPS Multilanguages 2.0.7 is a severely hacked version of XOOPS 2.0.16. Therefore, if you want the patches that are available in 2.0.17.x, you will either need to manually implement them yourself, or you will need to wait for the SmartFactory team to update XOOPS Multilanguages to use the 2.0.17 core.

HTH

arie1985
  • 2007/9/26 10:46

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks JM for that information.

Is there a package which just give me the "base" itself and I will do the rest? e.g. hack that will let me do all the translations by myself, it will just split/duplicate my website in a way that I will be able to put all the translations there?

Thanks in advance again!

arie1985
  • 2007/9/26 10:51

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Is there a package which just give me the "base" itself and I will do the rest? e.g. hack that will let me do all the translations by myself, it will just split/duplicate my website in a way that I will be able to put all the translations there?

Thanks in advance again!

arie1985
  • 2007/9/26 10:51

• arie1985

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks in advance again!

JMorris
  • 2007/9/26 11:11

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

arie1985 wrote:

Thanks in advance again!

Not that I am aware of.

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits