Scarlet
piCal time zone
  • 2007/9/20 20:06

• Scarlet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/4 2

I'm using PiCal v. 0.89. I have the time zone in the preferences set as GM - 5 (eastern US).

When I add events, if I select GMT-5, after saving the event, the times are all messed up. If I leave it GMT+0, then they are ok.

I need to either fix the problem, or get rid of the time zone in the parenthesis next to events. I can't find that in the template, can anyone help?

Thanks!

script_fu
Re: piCal time zone

Well let me tell you I waste alot of my time with the time zones in xoops. Did you make sure in Sys admin ---> preferences ---> General settings... to set the server time to the correct zone? Alot of hosts use straight GMT.

My host is on the east coast and they use gmt-5 for the server. Like I said they should all set the servers to straight GMT it would make it so much easyer...

I wish they would make the time easyer for the new users sake.
Vets like me are use to the bs with the time zones. There are other place to change time and date. Be more specific if you need more help.

Scarlet
  • 2007/9/21 0:24

• Scarlet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/4 2

Yes, the time zones are so confusing. Turns out I didn't have my USER time zone set right. It was GMT, not GMT-5.

script_fu

Im glad to hear you have it sorted.

I think a little script that shows the real server time should be in preferences so you can adjust XOOPS right off the bat. Then a link to all the other times that need to be checked would stop alot of the time questions here at xoops.

You know the old ounce of prevention saying.

skenow
  • 2007/9/21 1:47

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

The other odd bit you'll pull out a good amount of hair over is what happens during 'summer time' in the US. Basically, web time and desktop time don't synch.

I'm trying to work this out for one of the sites I work with - our church has a calendering and space management program that is their primary calendar tool. We export items from that, convert to iCal, then import into PiCal. Or, that's what we would like to do.

Once you get yourself situated, try this experiment -
Create an event in your desktop calendar (Outlook, Lotus, Sunbird, whatever) and then export it to iCal (.ics format). Import it to PiCal (in the module admin - importing iCalender). Notice how the times get displayed. For us, the timezone is GMT-6, normally. The events are being displayed as GMT-5, because of Daylight Saving Time. If you export that from PiCal and import it back to your desktop, the times are correct! If you adjust the times in PiCal to display correctly online, export from PiCal and import to your desktop, it will be off by an hour

What I find to be happening is your desktop is adjusting for Daylight Saving Time and PiCal and XOOPS do not. The times are being stored the same way (because when you import to Pical then export from Pical and import to your desktop, the times are correct), just not displayed the same.

I have played with all the different time zone settings in XOOPS and PiCal and there is not a combination that works for all functions (import, display, export). Ultimately, I think it is a XOOPSn issue. Like script_fu says - all web times should be based on GMT. The applications should then detect the TZ offset of the viewer (not the user) and adjust times accordingly.

Just my 2 cents.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits