skaboom101
A newbie question about a simple page?
  • 2007/9/19 0:39

• skaboom101

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/9/18

Hello,

I'm a fairly experienced web app developer but am new to the wonderful world of xoops...
I am comfortable with the creation and usage of modules, the basic use of the admin panel, and overall structure of a XOOPS site.
I've installed XOOPS 2.2.x and I just have a simple question that I can't seem to find a simple answer for. I am creating a wedding site and I need to have the ability to create simple pure html pages with links on the main menu. For instance, I need to have a page that might read:

About Us:

The Groom:
blah blah blah

The Bride:
blah blah blah

And then I would also require a simple link with the title About Us on the main menu.

The only two ways I can think of to do this are to create an entire module which only displays the one page (way to complex after creating 3 or 4 of these pages) ... and to modify the system myself to allow for a new class called pages that would be similar to modules but only display html... (also a little too complicated than it should be).

Ideally there should be a way to do this using blocks (such as a custom block for each page I need to display) but this does not allow for adding items to the main menu.. Also, the options for visibility are much too course.

Could someone please shed some light on this issue and let me know what the easiest/fastest way to create simple pure html pages with links added to the main menu?

Thanks,
Drew

BlueStocking
[MainMenu] Template file edit - using clone (some versions)

Hi skaboom101,

See this sample MainMenu link for visual location.

select template

That is the
Edit template file
File name* system_block_mainmenu.html
Description* Shows the main navigation menu of the site

<table cellspacing="0">
  <
tr>
    <
td id="mainmenu">
      <
class="menuTop" href="<{$xoops_url}>/"><{$block.lang_home}>a>

<{foreach 
item=module from=$block.modules}>
      <
class="menuMain" href="<{$xoops_url}>/modules/<{$module.directory}>/"><{$module.name}>a>
        <{foreach 
item=sublink from=$module.sublinks}>
          <
class="menuSub" href="<{$sublink.url}>"><{$sublink.name}>a>
        <{/foreach}>
      <{/foreach}>

td>
  tr>
table>

Above is the code you will find in the modules/system/admin.php?fct=tplsets&op=edittpl&id=20

Place your link/links within the code just before the end module menu loop, or right under the start main menu loop.

To maintain site continuity I would use the save file as in IE6 and select whole page. This gives a tempate for the html pages you wish to create.

NOTE: when you save the file save it as the name you are going to want to use, because both the file and the folder for the graphics it creates, with the same name, have to be uploaded to your site.
hhttps://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

skaboom101
Re: A newbie question about a simple page?
  • 2007/9/19 1:53

• skaboom101

• Just popping in

Thanks BlueStocking,

I had actually tried this earlier and aparently I have a bad install or incorrect settings or something. When I click edit on the MainMenu block, I get the same screen that you gave a link to.. But after I click Edit Template, and add my links to the text area, the only button I have at the bottom of the form is "View" .. when I click it it just seems to bring up a preview window with the new link that I added. There isn't any Update or save button there...

Also, I failed to mention before, I would need this pure html page to fit into the format/template of the site (like with the XOOPS header and footer and template, etc). Basically, it should behave like a module, but only have 1 page associated with it.

Thanks again,
Drew

BlueStocking
[MainMenu] Template file edit - using clone (some versions)

YOU CAN ONLY EDIT A CLONE. (in some versions)

TemplateSetManager
Select your Defaut template set and clone it then work on the clone.

Boy... that is important, I tried on the default theme until I was blue in the face. I tried from MySQL and every way imaginable with no luck to add those menu items.

Resized Image

After Cloning as above example ... Then I got the save feature. I googled that answer, it did not come off this sites information. But it was the only thing that would work for me.

For page wrap html check this past post.
PageWrap discussion
hhttps://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

skaboom101
Re: A newbie question about a simple page?
  • 2007/9/19 11:39

• skaboom101

• Just popping in

Whew, That is indeed important information. Thanks for doing the research! I believe this should solve my problem.

Thanks again!

Login

Who's Online

482 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 482

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits