seth_sd
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/9/4 18:27

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

kc0maz wrote:
Quote:

Peekay wrote:

The multi-site plan = worse support, no matter what 'theme' you choose.

I agree and disagree. A theme does not make support better or worse.

Having five different sub-sites could enhance specialized support, only if there was a central site that could search all the sub-sites, and a centralized user database, However, the community is not ready for that level of support, yet. Eventually I would like see something like specialized sub-sites established.

I am not sure that the community would know the difference between sub-sites if the technical issues were properly sorted out.

I have always been under the impression that xoops.org was running on outdated hardware and that some of the modules were customized or configured in such a way that migrating them over to the new hardware did not make sense.

So why not get going with xoopsinfo.org being called - forums.xoops.org. Make the appropriate links on the front page of xoops.org, integrate the user database and add the additional search capabilities that would allow this to come together. Then move on to the next project which maybe docs or wiki or whatever. The organization owns the hardware and the domain name even though it will no longer be relevant once it's "forums.xoops.org". It's all in place and paid for - use it!

Look at Ubuntu. This is one of the most pleasant and easy to use support sites I have ever come across, commercial or Open Soure.

1.http://www.ubuntu.com/ - Main Portal

2.https://help.ubuntu.com/ - Docs

3.http://ubuntuforums.org/ - Forums (English Speaking, their are others for other languages)
-http://forum.ubuntu.org.cn/ - Chinese Support
-http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/ - Dutch Support
Etc. etc......

4.https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ - Wiki

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Peekay
  • 2007/9/4 20:00

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:

Look at Ubuntu. This is one of the most pleasant and easy to use support sites I have ever come across, commercial or Open Soure.

Ubuntu has ONE forum. Which is why online support for Ubuntu is so good. Perhaps they realise that having more than one forum would be a really bad idea.

...or maybe they just haven't thought of it?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

seth_sd
  • 2007/9/4 21:22

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Quote:

seth_sd wrote:

Ubuntu has ONE forum. Which is why online support for Ubuntu is so good. Perhaps they realise that having more than one forum would be a really bad idea.

...or maybe they just haven't thought of it?

Exactly, that's what I am saying. We need "Forums.xoops.org" and then links to the other official forums that provide support in their respective languages with common themes....Just like Ubuntu.

I am merely addressing the fact that the organization owns the hardware and has paid to have it nicely configured and tested for production. It happens to be xoopsinfo.org at this point but with a theme change, users database integration and a DNS entry we'd be in business. It takes some time to implement but a lot of the hard part has been done.

Then do something like ubuntu does for development and bug tracking. It all appears as one nicely integrated site but is in fact multiple different servers providing different services to those involved in different aspects of the community. This provides plenty of scalability and performance and so forth to the community.

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

davidl2
  • 2007/9/4 21:24

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Some sensible reasoning there.

seth_sd
  • 2007/9/4 21:54

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Some sensible reasoning there.

Thanks, Man!

Now if we could just get it done I'd be satisfied.....I am here to help if anybody would like to utilize me.

Seth

BlueStocking

Quote:

So why not get going with xoopsinfo.org being called - forums.xoops.org. Make the appropriate links on the front page of xoops.org, integrate the user database and add the additional search capabilities that would allow this to come together. Then move on to the next project which maybe docs or wiki or whatever. The organization owns the hardware and the domain name even though it will no longer be relevant once it's "forums.xoops.org". It's all in place and paid for - use it!

At Forums.xoops.org I can post on any form I can read.

At xoopsinfo.com if I want to comment to a person regarding a post I have to pm them -- That is true with anyone else who isn't in the approved circle.

To put it mildly, I resent this.

...darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

davidl2
  • 2007/9/4 22:04

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Have you PM'd the team leader to ask to join the relevent team?

Work forums are for members of the community to read the work - and for team members to post. If you ask to join and are added, then you'd be welcomed to post.

BlueStocking

I am the team leader of xoops-end-users team, I'm surprised you hadn't noticed.

BlueStocking
End User rep

Request presented by Giba
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

davidl2
  • 2007/9/4 23:05

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

And Skenow is team leader for the Community Docs team.

If you contact him, via the correct method, then perhaps he can assist.

(Ie: PM on XOOPSInfo, By using the Helpdesk, or by even posting a request on the public forums on the site...)

skenow
  • 2007/9/4 23:09

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Yes, Darcy and anyone else interested in participating in one of the existing work groups - membership is not closed and each team can have as many members as they find constructive. Sending a PM to a team member is an acceptable method of contact for becoming a contributing member.

The read-only work forums for regular users was one borrowed from the ideas proposed in the forums here. It brings the work of the teams out into the open for everyone to see. Public forums are also available for public comment and xHelp (Help Desk) is available for users to submit suggestions to the various teams and you can monitor the responses by the team.

So, come and join the fun!

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits