blackpet
SMTP Email Setup
  • 2007/9/4 10:24

• blackpet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/22

I have terrible time trying SMTP email setup to work through a third party server.

When I use simple SMPT I get the message that it cannot find the email addresses. When I use SMTP Auth, I get the message that it cannot authendicate.

I had a hack that solved the problem in the past but after pC changes and XOOPS versions upgrades I lost it.
I made a lot of searches in this site but I cannot find it.
THe hack used to exist up to 2004!
My version is 2.0.7

Any help is more than welcome!

Many Thanks

Cowski
Re: SMTP Email Setup
  • 2007/10/10 4:47

• Cowski

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/10

Bump!!

My question is similar and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have a few other questions as well:

1. What does this mean: "SMTPAuth username" (I tried my webmaster email name here)
2. What does this mean: "SMTPAuth password" (and I tried my webmaster email password here)

I've got my SMTP set up as mail.mydomainname.com and I have a user by the name of "webmaster" set up too.
Not sure what Mail Delivery Method either (SendMail, PhPmail, SMTP, or SMTP Auth). Tried all 3 with various settings with no luck.

Thanks!!

michelinux
  • 2007/10/15 10:33

• michelinux

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/15

Quote:

Cowski wrote:

1. What does this mean: "SMTPAuth username" (I tried my webmaster email name here)
2. What does this mean: "SMTPAuth password" (and I tried my webmaster email password here)

Thanks!!

'SMTPAuth' means a SMTP server with authentication required (as gmail smtp server, for example). So, "SMTPAuth username" is the username you use to log on that server, and "SMTPAuth password" the related password.

If you have your own local - or remote - server (sendmail, MSexchange, etc.), you have to choose 'SMTP' if no authentication is required, else 'SMTPAuth' if you have to authenticate yourself for logon.

Remember the usually smtp servers with no authentication listen at port 25/TCP, while smtp servers *with* authentication listen at port 587/TCP. You can specify ports writing server addresses as:

mail.your_mail_server.com:25 (no authentication)
mail.your_mail_server.com:587 (with auth required)

Catzwolf
  • 2007/10/15 11:08

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@ michelinux;

Welcome to XOOPS and thankyou for taking the time to answer someones question in the process :)

ATB

Catz

Login

Who's Online

878 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 878

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits