tmreg
Opt-in to User Group
  • 2007/8/10 14:48

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

Is there a way to, once a user is signed-in, to offer a button that would automatically include them in a user group?

What I am trying to do is allow someone to send emails to interested parties. This would be accomplished using the "mail users" function sending an email to this particular user group. I do not want to be in the business of manually inputting users into the groups.

It would be perfect if I could have an "opt-out" link on the email, but it is not critical.

Has anyone ever made something like this or heard of something like this? Any help would be appreciated.
-Matt

khuhner
Re: Opt-in to User Group
  • 2007/8/10 18:18

• khuhner

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/6 3

Quote:

tmreg wrote:
What I am trying to do is allow someone to send emails to interested parties. This would be accomplished using the "mail users" function sending an email to this particular user group. I do not want to be in the business of manually inputting users into the groups.

Did you try SmartMail from StartFactory?

http://smartfactory.ca/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=83

Kurt

tmreg
  • 2007/8/10 19:06

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

I just installed it but it looks like it is not exactly what I am looking for. This email group is going to be for people who have indicated an interest in certain volunteer work. An email would go out when a volunteer need arose. Doesn't necessarily lend itself to automatic distribution of newsletters like that module appears to do.

The perfect solution would be to let people opt into a group (just like the smartmail module does for newsletters) and use the simple "mail users" function built into the system.

It needs to be VERY simple for the end user. I will keep playing with the smartmail and see if there is any way to manipulate it to do what I need.
-Matt

khuhner
  • 2007/8/10 19:16

• khuhner

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/6 3

Quote:

tmreg wrote:
The perfect solution would be to let people opt into a group (just like the smartmail module does for newsletters) and use the simple "mail users" function built into the system.

A couple more options:

(1) Have you thought about using the calendar (such as extcal)so users can sign up for "volunteering events". Then you can email users who signed up for a specific event.

(2) You can use a subsription module (Subscritpion from 3rd eye is pretty good). When users purchase a "subscription" they are put into the group you specify. This may be overkill for what you are looking for.

(3) Pay a XOOPS coder to put together some custom XOOPS code to do what you want. It shouldnt be too difficult.

I suspect there isnt a quick fix for what you are looking for.

Good luck,
Kurt

tmreg
  • 2007/8/10 19:49

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
Pay a XOOPS coder to put together some custom XOOPS code to do what you want.

That is the conclusion I am coming to also. Is anyone interested?
-Matt

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits