Cozzie
Which Modules give best Google Page Rank?
  • 2007/7/27 9:52

• Cozzie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/7/13

I'd like to throw this one open to all out there with experience in a XOOPS site

It seems that Google PR can vary quite a lot between modules. I am building a new site and was going to use CBB forum for a good deal of the content but I have just seen that ALL forum topics return a PR of 0, even here on the XOOPS site - that's got me worried

So now I thinking to build the site around other more Google-friendly modules - it seems like Xpress is good for example.

Do people have any thoughts on this?

martyboy
Re: Which Modules give best Google Page Rank?
  • 2007/7/27 18:10

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

I don't think it matters what module you use thats not how google page rank works. Im not 100% percent certain but I think one of the factors in deciding a pages pagerank is how important it is, i.e alot of forum topics probably have none or very little inbound links from other important pages so in Googles eyes the forum topics are not important and therefore are asigned a low pagerank or no pagerank.

For example my site main page has a PR of 4 but other pages that are deeper in the site, no matter what module they use, has a lower or unnasigned pagerank because not many other important pages link to it.

There is probably many other factors involved in how pagerank is assigned but I think what I mentioned above is one of them, i certainly dont think it has anything to do with what module you use.

Hope this helps
Michael Jackson = King Of Pop

Xoops = King Of CMS

ewonline
  • 2007/7/27 19:00

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/17

Take a look at the wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

That basically explains how PR is calculated.
Resized Image

Cozzie
  • 2007/8/3 10:50

• Cozzie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/7/13

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Yeh it seems that inward links are the thing to concentrate on but it just seems weird that as far as I have noticed even on xoops.org all the forum threads have a 0/10 rank!!!

I'd love to know why

tmreg
  • 2007/8/3 14:26

• tmreg

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/7/20

I have a home-made google maps module that has a higher pagerank than my main site. Figure that one out.

Main page:http://churchthatcares.org
Directions Module:http://churchthatcares.org/modules/directions
-Matt

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits