BlueStocking
Re: Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review

I advise, Run that through the legal department.

I belive that disclaimer is meant to protect XOOPS from legal action;
Your extra add-on "Any unlawful activities will be reported to law enforcement. XOOPS.org and its agents will cooperate fully with any law enforcement agency." May take away from the initial intent, actually involving them in legal action.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

davidl2
  • 2007/7/3 19:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I actually agree with you here Ms Stocking

Catzwolf
  • 2007/7/3 19:50

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I personally see much of this as knee jerk reaction to many of the problems that would not be around if the wheels of XOOPS else where were in the 'correct' motion. As I have said before, don't simply paint over the cracks, find the root of the problem at the foundations and fix that first.

Much of the real problems here at XOOPS have now been obscured by confusion, conjecture and hearsay.

You can make as many rules and regulations as you like, in some case I have found that this could in fact make situations worse. Your changes apply to the effect and not the cause of the problems here at XOOPS and until this is noticed nothing will change here.

I am in the view that XOOPS needs a good strong leader to pull XOOPS out of the hole of despair that it is in now. Not a leader like Skalpa who did nothing but further the issues with his style of non leadership, but someone who can see the problems and produce solutions in real terms. Right now I see XOOPS heading for another explosion and it may happen sooner than later.

We are one month into a new leadership, but in real terms I believe we are no further forward. Quite the contrary. If it has taken one month just to put together a 'Council' together, then how long will it take just to get the simplest changes required to move XOOPS back on track?

Xoops have been unfortunate to have had a leadership that did nothing to further XOOPS and let problems persist and did nothing to fix them. The sad fact is that you get bad as well as good leaders in life, and XOOPS has managed to get more than their fair share of them. But, I say to those people who say they would prefer a council to a 'leader' is to look around at other successful projects that are around today.

If XOOPS had a strong leader who understood the needs and wants of a community and put the community first before themselves I believe we would not be having any of the problems currently at Xoops.

Cause and effect. We are trying to fix internal hemorrhaging with a sticky plaster and sympathy and until someone has the foresight to make the first cut, we won’t fix the real problems.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

ATB

Catz

seth_sd
  • 2007/7/3 20:24

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I personally see much of this as knee jerk reaction to many of the problems that would not be around if the wheels of XOOPS else where were in the 'correct' motion. As I have said before, don't simply paint over the cracks, find the root of the problem at the foundations and fix that first.

Much of the real problems here at XOOPS have now been obscured by confusion, conjecture and hearsay.

You can make as many rules and regulations as you like, in some case I have found that this could in fact make situations worse. Your changes apply to the effect and not the cause of the problems here at XOOPS and until this is noticed nothing will change here.

I am in the view that XOOPS needs a good strong leader to pull XOOPS out of the hole of despair that it is in now. Not a leader like Skalpa who did nothing but further the issues with his style of non leadership, but someone who can see the problems and produce solutions in real terms. Right now I see XOOPS heading for another explosion and it may happen sooner than later.

We are one month into a new leadership, but in real terms I believe we are no further forward. Quite the contrary. If it has taken one month just to put together a 'Council' together, then how long will it take just to get the simplest changes required to move XOOPS back on track?

Xoops have been unfortunate to have had a leadership that did nothing to further XOOPS and let problems persist and did nothing to fix them. The sad fact is that you get bad as well as good leaders in life, and XOOPS has managed to get more than their fair share of them. But, I say to those people who say they would prefer a council to a 'leader' is to look around at other successful projects that are around today.

If XOOPS had a strong leader who understood the needs and wants of a community and put the community first before themselves I believe we would not be having any of the problems currently at Xoops.

Cause and effect. We are trying to fix internal hemorrhaging with a sticky plaster and sympathy and until someone has the foresight to make the first cut, we won’t fix the real problems.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

ATB

Catz

AMEN! And, that is why I suggested that we not worry about codes of conduct and people's feelings getting hurt. It's time to go out and fix the issues and let those that take action and lead provide the direction of the project.

These arguments about councils and teams appear to be endless...

Catz, will they let you on the core dev team? I think you ought to start there and discuss the issues surrounding core development in an open environement with the community and if you are the one making the right decisions and driving the project in the right direction you'll rise to the top, quickly.
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

BlueStocking

Hi David and I am glad we agree.

meanwhile the Bluestockings nic is because I have particular affection for the BlueStockings group, and its purposes as laid out in the 1800's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Stockings_Society_%28England%29

I shortened the nic to bluestocking because that is all the name field here would allow for. Just though you might be interested.

I liked the fact that the matter of dress is unimportant when you have something positive to offer a conversation.

They are blue worsted stockings in honor of Benjamin Stillingfleet.

I have used them for 'stocking issues on more than one occassion.

BTW: I would like to see Catz as COMMUNITY leader since we alrealy have a Project leader. (the position James held before he stepped down and left it vacant, or should I say up for grabs, in the moving on post.

davidl2
  • 2007/7/3 21:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Well that shows we can't agree on everything then

But the article is certainly very interesting!

Peekay
  • 2007/7/3 22:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I think it is positive for ordinary XOOPS users to discuss how things might be improved. Sadly, I have seen so many good ideas go unheeded that this thread is probably destined for the abyss like the rest.

Perhaps, if the changes suggested in a thread generates enough support, a system should be in place to allow the thread starter to submit a proposal that users can vote on and the site managers should take action on based on the outcome.

The notion of this resource being powered by the community is a sham if nothing the community asks for ever gets done.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

BlueStocking

Quote:
The notion of this resource being powered by the community is a sham if nothing the community asks for ever gets done.

It is powered by the Foundation, who's purpose is to provide and promote opensource code for the masses, worldwide. Their Foundation mandate was for 5 years in the beginning. With two persons at the top. One in Japan and the other in China. It is a top down management structure.

The communities are the benefactors.

They may build modules, themes, and whatever their hearts desire to enhance the original XOOPS core. They are separate entities. Xoops.org is the honey-pot from which the worker bees feed. Several of the bees have left to form their own hive and inaugurate new queens. Others have choose to stay, partake of the honey and kill the queen.

Those who don't like what the core is doing, can of course, strike out on their own and take all the knowledge and materials they have aquired with them. They can build themes, modules and other addon's and charge for them with the foundations blessings.

I don't have a problem with that.
Do you?

Maybe someday a leader of the community will emerge and know his place.

Catzwolf
  • 2007/7/4 8:42

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:

BTW: I would like to see Catz as COMMUNITY leader since we alrealy have a Project leader. (the position James held before he stepped down and left it vacant, or should I say up for grabs, in the moving on post.

Thank you for your vote of confidence :)

I have already more than once offered my services to DJ more than once, and I have not heard anything concrete from him.

I suspect that he is either to busy or I do not fit into the grand scheme of things. :)

ATB

Catz

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/4 11:50

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Where are you going?

This thread is to discuss if some of the rules here need to be changed.

Somehow we went from that to catz being a community leader.

As far as I am concern the leaders are in place. If you want to talk about new leaders go elsewhere.

But here, right here, we talking about what is expected from a user when they post a message, and what will happen if they fail to comply.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits