kc0maz
Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review
  • 2007/7/2 15:49

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

As we move forward, reshaping the XOOPS community. A review of the current
Terms of Use and XOOPSiquette is in order.

If you would like to see something changed, or updated, removed or even left alone post a comment here. I am not going to promise anything is going to change, however, here is your chance to voice your opinion.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

kc0maz
Re: Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review
  • 2007/7/2 15:51

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

In addition to the current Code of Conduct, I am adding a few more rules for this thread and this thread only.

1) If quoting from another forum, topic, or thread, to show an example of bad or good form, remove all usernames, and signatures from the quote. (just don't strike them out, but remove them from the post before posting) We don't care who, as much as what.

2) Do not get stuck on one example or one situation. If you give an example, there should be at least five more just like it.

3) Keep the discussion on-topic, this is not a discussion about the moderators or moderator enforcement or non-enforcement. comments are welcome from the moderators if they believe a rule is enforceable or not enforceable or the wording is unclear.

Failure to comply will result in your post being deleted without warning or notice.

I have asked the moderators to apply the current code of conduct and the additional rules vigorously and with extreme prejudice. to this one thread.

If the thread gets too out of hand, the moderators will lock the thread for 24 hours, with or without notice, at their discretion.
--unknown

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/2 15:52

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

To start the discussion off -
The work arounds for foul language should not be allow at all Here is an example:
Quote:

...With that being said, what the h*ll is going on with xoops? Man I have read countless thread after countless thread of either people b*tching about how things are or now that those people have stepped down, how it should be. ...

I am of the thought that when such is found it should be edited and replaced with '[mod]XXXX[/mod]' indicating a moderator found it and edited it.
--unknown

vaughan
  • 2007/7/2 15:56

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

xoopsiquette i'd recommend using xoopsinfo's

http://xoopsinfo.com/modules/about/code_of_conduct.php

BlueStocking

Quote:

Subjects - Use meaningful subjects in the forum and comments which give informations about your posting. Do not use subjects like "Help! I´m lost".

When I see a post that says help, I'm lost, I know they are very new and have not read all the fineprint of the site. They just need help fast. I don't see this as an xoopsiquette issue. I respond quickly because the problem is usually something simple and easy to fix.

Other than that I like it exactly as it is.
It is user friendly.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

BlueStocking

Vaughn,
That may be appropiate for xoopsinfo.com but I don't believe it is necessary to the spirit of xoops.org. As I see this developing xoops.org will be the first place the end user lands to pose his question relating to where to get the necessary information to fix his problem. From there his problem will be relayed to the various sites whatever, whereever, they may turn out to be by the teams and team members. Effectively isolating the end user from the mechanics of everyday XOOPS business.

This sound good, so far, for the end user.

Xoops.org Code of Conduct as it stands is good and suficient for Xoops.org.

In my opinion.

vaughan
  • 2007/7/2 16:29

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

help! i'm lost means nothing to us.

help, problem with editing theme. means a hell of a lot more.

we don't have that paragraph there without a reason.

users are expected to show some sign of intelligence and try to help themselves ;)

there are hundreds of posts a day here, and if we had to open every thread labelled "help i'm stuck" just to find out what they are stuck with, then it becomes counter productive.

we don't know what the user is stuck on, we are very busy ourselves. so a meaningful topic title is asked of people for a reason, that reason being that it alerts people as to what issue a person has. if it's a problem with a theme, then hell say "i have a problem with x-theme" in the topic title. that way anybody with theme experience can quickly see oh, I might be able to help with that.

guidelines are there for a reason, they help you (the users) to help yourselves get faster responses and hopefully find a solution to your problems with as little effort as possible.

help! i need help urgently.. lol this is a common topic title.. and to be honest, those threads are not the threads we tend to open up 1st before opening up the other threads with meaningful topic titles. lol

the reson for that is simply that everyone needs help urgently. what makes that persons problem any more urgent than joe blogg's problem? we have to prioritise too, and we usually prioritise the threads that have clear definitions of what the thread is related to, rather than having to guess what a topic is about before opening it.

BlueStocking

by kc0maz on 2007/7/2 10:52:44

RE: workaround.
I consider this excessive moderation.

We are adults here and should be able to exercise freedom of expression. Profanity, or unaccepted words should be in the censored list. IF they are not in the censored list they should be ignored. Don't try to control my freedom of speech or thoughts.

EDITED: due to post #30
I was wrong, it would not be excessive moderation, I just did not relate this board to the business environment that it should be equated with. I tended to judge it as an XOOPS sound-off board. That is contrary to good Xoops' business.

BlueStocking

Vaughn,
By the time the complaint gets to xoopsinfo they will know it is a theme. Different rules can apply... it is a different site with a different login required and posting ability is not open to the public on most current subjects being discussed. It is for team members, of which I am not one.

Here, on xoops.org, they should not be expected to have the foggiest idea what caused the problem they have except they must have done something wrong, themselves. This site should be open and user friendly for end-users, while team members do their own thing in these yet "unofficial" sites.

Understand, this is just my opinion.
I don't expect it to be acted upon, only considered.

vaughan
  • 2007/7/2 16:50

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

i respectfully disagree!!

i do not think it's excessive moderation.

i do not think that removing posts & closing topics that contain flaming & personal attacks/insults is excessive moderating.. I think that removing said posts etc is 100% in the best *interests" of XOOPS.

i am not controlling your freedom of expression/speech. (the government controls that for you in real life anyway) does the internet interfere with peoples minds or something? or do some people think that the internet should be a lawless, uncontrolled, free for all where anybody can say/insult or express whatever feelings they want whether people are offended by what they say or not? because personally that is the impression i get from a lot of you.

same with removing posts/or moving posts that are not related to the topic at hand is far better in the end for both the user & the community support side of things.

1 question = 1 thread.

eg.

how do i change the registration form?

the only replies that should be posted in that thread with that topic title should be 100% related to explaining how to change/edit the registration form.

it is not good to then have further questions later on in the topic that are not related to that.. so if a user comes in the thread and says oh, how do you edit the userinfo form.. the user should be asked to open another thread regarding that issue, instead of being answered there & then in the thread. & if somebody does answer an off topic question, then those posts should be moved to their own topic.

WHY? because it helps people search for things. if you want help with editing userinfo page, then that is the result that search should throw up. it should not throw up results for the registration system.. a user should not be expected to have to plough through 6 pages of posts because the search results told him that his particular question might be founds/answered in that particular thread that is to do with registration & not userinfo.

hence why i say, 1 question = 1 thread. different question = start new thread.

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits