Peekay
AUTH code for .com transfers. When did that happen?
  • 2007/6/22 23:26

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I always believed an AUTH code was required to transfer .BIZ, .ORG, and .INFO domains, but I just had a transfer fail for a .COM domain because I failed to obtain an AUTH code first.

I unlocked the domain but my own registrar mentions nothing about the code until you reach the authorisation screen (too late by then of course). Really p***ed off as the losing registrar was doing everything in their power to prevent the transfer.

Can any domain gurus put me straight and tell me exactly which TLDs need an AUTH code so I don't mess up again?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

BlueStocking
Re: AUTH code for .com transfers. When did that happen?

I can't supply you with a list of domains that need the code;

Sorry if you messed up on an authorization code.
They make it very hard to come by, impossible if you were not the one to set the site up orignially.

With networksolutions it is the pin number you gave them when you first opened your account.

With GoDaddy you have to request it from them via a written request forum signed. You have to send several types of identification and if at all possible they will reject it as not readable, in my case, a scanned copy of my dl wouldn't do. I uploaded a good image file of it, -- not acceptable, wasn't attached to the fax. If you are within a couple of weeks of expiration. Getting the code is impossible to do.

I transferred the domain pointers on four GoDaddy dot com etc., and will handle the transfer of the registrator when I have had them 6 months active. Hypermart gives an addition year for each domain transferred. No more losing domains because of an email change of address making it impossible to deal with GoDaddy or other DNS.

If your domain hasn't expired then I may be able to help you through the maze. Also had experience will Melborne.

Good luck,
hhttps://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

stefan88
  • 2007/6/23 5:28

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

I needed one to trasfer .NET domain about a year ago...

In TwoCows/OpenSRS you have it in your account management somewhere.

Peekay
  • 2007/6/23 10:21

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:

They make it very hard to come by

They sure do. The person who registered the domain couldn't be contacted. Thankfully they had named the domain owner as the registrant and the admin contact. However, when I attempted to un-lock the domain I was asked for a 'security' question that the registrant knew nothing about. She had to fax her driving licence to get the security answer re-set.

It has taken days to sort out, so the AUTH code requirement was an unpleasant surprise. I set the ball rolling again, so hopefully we will have more luck this time.

It's sad that so many registrars can only keep business by making it hard, if not impossible, for customers to go elsewhere.

Your experience with GoDaddy sounds deplorable.

Caveat emptor.

BlueStocking

Have you moved the domain pointers to the new server yet?
Do you know how to do that? I moved the pointers first. That removes needing them (losing registrar) for anything other than withdrawing the registration from their control.

Peekay
  • 2007/6/23 14:36

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Do you mean changing the 'www' and 'mx' records? I haven't done that with the existing registrar, because they charge an annual fee for access to the domain's DNS controls. One of the reasons for the move.

There's no existing website for the domain and I haven't built the new one yet, so I don't think that will be a problem.

BlueStocking

First give me the name of the existing domain. http:address that is..

I will check it with http://whois.ws
Example: BentonVideoVisions.com where it askes for address
The picture of the gal is me.

Then I will lead you through this...
'cause I've been there... done that.

(the fee they charge is for doing it for you)
They MUST allow you to do it yourself if you want.
It is your domain, not theirs. Its the law and ICANN enforces it.

They won't tell you how, you have to know how to work through the maze. It is a simple process if you know your way around.

Login

Who's Online

411 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 411

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits