• 2007/6/3 9:31

• Smoerble

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/3 9

Hello.
I hope, you can tell me, if this is possible with Xoops:

+ I want to run several domains on one server with one software
+ If a user registers, he will be registered on all other projects too
+ All sites have to look completely different (visually)
+ All sites link to the same forum, but it has to look always in the style of the site and the URL should NOT change (this is why all are on the same server)
+ I assume, this can be done with one installation for each domain linking to the same database. The question is, how different styles for different domains can be handled

Example:
I want to run a snoboard site and a car site.
On the snowboard site of course I want only snowboard articles, on car's site only car articles.
If a user goes to mycars.com/forum he should see the same forum as on mysnowboard.com/forum, but each forum shall be displayed in the site's layout.

+ I think this might be difficult to handle for both registered and unregistered users?

Smoerble
Re: Hosting several sites on one DB?
  • 2007/6/15 16:30

• Smoerble

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/3 9

No answer yet... not possible or is my explanation stupid?

Anonymous
  • 2007/6/15 16:57

• Anonymous

• Since:

Your question is not stupid

I know a few people who run three or more XOOPS websites from the same db. I know one guy who has 8 websites (not all xoops) and a few separate forums, inc phpbb, etc. on the one database.

To run several XOOPS websites from the same database is perfectly possible. Best way to do it is to do a separate XOOPS install for each website but choose a different database prefix for each site. This will make the sites independent.

You can use different themes/styles for each website, no problem at all.

Thew only thing I'm not sure about is each website using the same Forums - I think that this will involve a lot of hacking and code changes, but I could be wrong. I'm sure that an expert will be along to contradict me any minute!! Likewise, I'm not sure about one registration covering all sites.

The one thing that you will have to look out for is that your server and database will have to be up to the task if any of the sites are well used.

HTH

EyeKeeper
  • 2007/6/15 17:26

• EyeKeeper

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/6/11

well...

If I'm not mistaken you'll be able to that using the multisites hack...

If you look for multisites here at xoops.org there will be plenty of references

BlueStocking

Just a heads up on a recent experience of my own.

I have two accounts at my prefered server.
Hypermart.net

They are in different user names (paid seperately accounts)
one hosts five variations of hardhunting Hard-Hunting .org .net .com and the other hosts upnrunnin.hypermart.net which has no dot.com etc., associated with it.

Both have multiple MySQL databases.

One day immediately after my server had temporally went down for maintance, and came back online... When I signed on to upnrunnin my hardhunting database was the one available to me. This threw me in a panic, it was not my desire to mix these two accounts. One is pretty much open wide to the public and the other one is closed tighter than a drum. (probably not, but I would like to think so)

Bottom line my cache created the condition that had I been using one database, I MAY HAVE had inadvertent access to the wrong area of that database. I don't know this for a fact but it is something to be aware of. I don't keep other peoples personal data so for me it would not have been that much of a problem, had I the responsibility for others data... It would have bothered me greatly.

BlueStockings
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits