kc0maz
Re: [XoopsTeam] report - Forum Moderator - status
  • 2007/6/13 18:09

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

let's do it this way.

leave the past in the past. Focus on today. using what you have learned.

What do you need to be a good moderator?

How would the ideal complaint / appeal process work?

Who should the moderators be accountable to? (not the community)

What would you change about today moderators?
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

vaughan
  • 2007/6/13 18:17

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

hard skin, the ability to take insults and offensive emails with a pinch of salt.

the ability to use good judgement & be able to work under pressure. lol

How the ideal complaint / appeal process work?

take the complaint up with the moderator in question (via PM).

if the situation is still not sorted after that, then take it to the management, who should then discuss with the moderator in question before overturning a decision (if that is needed)

as they are now. they are accountable to the management!

i wouldn't change anything. other than let us do our jobs properly. and yes we should not get involved in arguments in public. we can't excuse that we have done in the past, but it was soooo frustrating at times!!!

BlueStocking

re: by kc0maz on 2007/6/13 13:09:38
let's do it this way.

leave the past in the past. Focus on today. using what you have learned. << I have learned the job is a paper tiger, proper authority does not come with the position.

What do you need to be a good moderator? << The ability to not get involved in personal side taking and sticking up for your assumed friends. The ability to see what the casual observer is witnessing and evaluating in making their decision to 'land here' and continuing using this product or move on to more friendly pastures.

How the ideal complaint / appeal process work? << a written set of rules that are known by the community and the moderators. A vote among moderators hardly seems appropriate.

Who should the moderators be accountable to? (not the community) << XOOPS management as a first consideration. XOOPS management in turns first consideration should be the community that supports it by using their product.

What would you change about today moderators? << Their user name. When I look at the sidebar I want to see moderator, I don't want to see Vaughan, davidl2, jmorris, and others and think moderator. If it is a problem I have with the board I want to address a moderator and I DON'T WANT to know which one it is. I am not interested in taking ANY moderator to task. I am interested in taking the way the position has been handled to task.

Another BS opinionated opinion.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

vaughan
  • 2007/6/13 18:51

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

i can't really say much to that, but IMO i am not in favour of having moderator 1, moderator 2 names though. but if that's what's decided, that is what will be.

on a side note BS. it's a good job i know that the BS in your posts is abbreviating your username.. lol here in the UK the saying BS has another meaning.. (i can't say here as the word censor whould prevent it lol)

vaughan
  • 2007/6/13 18:55

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

with regards the rules >

see xoopsiquette

or as we have heavily modified them on xoopsinfo you can read our changes in our Code of Conduct page.

BlueStocking

by vaughan on 2007/6/13 13:17:12

hard skin, the ability to take insults and offensive emails with a pinch of salt. << the name moderator 1 etc. would eliminate emails and insults.

the ability to use good judgment & be able to work under pressure. lol << there should be no pressure doing what the job calls for when you are the absolute authority, there should not be the option of arguing.

How the ideal complaint / appeal process work? << XOOPS should bear the ultimate responsibility of dismissing a moderator that is out of line. BASED upon complaints against moderator 1 two or three etc. Since I believe, any qualified moderator or team member should be able to sign in under any of the identifying numbers to do their duty when needed the issue would be the thing that stood out, not the personality of the moderator. Did the issue get resolved.

take the complaint up with the moderator in question (via PM). << I am not about to pm a moderator with a complaint about them or their colleague. I will just move on to another activity that does not include xoops.

if the situation is still not sorted after that, then take it to the management, who should then discuss with the moderator in question before overturning a decision (if that is needed) << Are you forgetting, we are XOOPS USERS and CONTRIBUTORS, we are not interested in running to the managers, in disgust; we WANT to be able to accomplish good deeds through our own actions. We need the moderators to help us be able to do that.

as they are now. they are accountable to the management! << as it should be.

i wouldn't change anything. other than let us do our jobs properly. and yes we should not get involved in arguments in public. we can't excuse that we have done in the past, but it was soooo frustrating at times!!! << with the nic moderator, it would be in the past. We wouldn't know who to blame except the system, who's fault it truly was at the time.

BlueStocking

gecko
  • 2007/6/13 19:03

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/11

Moderator1 moderator2 is a great idea.

As we saw when our unamed hacker went wacko, it was on a personal beef he thought he had with mods that led to the whole thing going crazy.

How can you deal with someone who is continually telling you how tired they are and "must get some sleep" who obviously had a mental problem continuously blowing up every thread? The answer is to depersonalize it take that names out and just refer to the rules.

Bender
  • 2007/6/13 19:03

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

How about a compromise? We could probably change the "Who is online" box to either add a [Mod] tag or show the mods in color or both. So you can still quickly find one if online but at the same time we are not hiding.

Think that would be acceptable?
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

BlueStocking

Vaughn...
I use the BS as the signature for just that reason. Much of what I say only amounts to bs. That means take this post with a grain of salt.

BlueStockings is the name I picked up from online information about a womans organization that started out in the 1800's as a league to get involved in something more than tea parties, and male bashing.

BS is a convenient short nic that pretty much says it all.

When I sign BlueStocking I am probably more serious about my intent.

Bottom line it all contains a good bit of bs.

BlueStockings aka BS

vaughan
  • 2007/6/13 19:10

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

lol thanks for the explanation, but no i didn't take your posts as BS

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits