zajonc
News Module, changes to news_item.html do show up
  • 2007/5/15 1:23

• zajonc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/7 5

I trying to customize the news modules and have had success with some changes. For example, I was able to change the news/news_index.html as well as the news/article.php and all changes I made to those files showed up. But I can't get any changes in the news/template/news_item.html to show up.
With the Smarty Template Debig set, I see:

db:news_index.html
--db:news_item.html (0.00097)

I'm assuming the news_item.html is in the templates dir; I can't any other file of that name. The Check Templates for Modifications is set. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

nachenko
Re: News Module, changes to news_item.html do show up
  • 2007/5/15 7:41

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

Question: You're editing the templates within the XOOPS control panel or are you overriding them? Overriding means copying them to your theme folder so that you can edit them using Dreamweaver or any other visual editor, then uploading them via FTP or whatever you use to upload the files to the server.

zajonc
  • 2007/5/15 16:44

• zajonc

• Just popping in

I couldn't get access to that template from the control panel, so I'm editing them manually and then FTPing them back to the server. That's the same way I did it with new_index.html which worked fine. But not such luck with news_item.html...
Thanks,
Michael

skenow
  • 2007/5/15 17:05

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Which theme are you using? Perhaps there is some template overrides going on there. Look in themes/yourtheme/modules/news/

XOOPSinfo module will also provide you with information about template overrides.

Also, be sure to clear your templates_c folder after making modifications and turn off any caching for the module.

zajonc
  • 2007/5/15 21:21

• zajonc

• Just popping in

Thanks for these suggestions. I've checked the chache settings, and emptied out the templates_c dir a few times...
It must be using a "news_item.html" located elsewhere, or it's cached someplace.
In the templates_c directory, I can see:
in-use-xf_GeminiBlue^%%05^052^052EA638%%db%3Anews_item.html.php

For a test, I deleted all the files in template_c, and deleted the "news_item.hmtl" iteself. I hit the page with my browser, and when I check the templates_c directory, the news_item.html has been recompiled.
Is there any helpful information in the generated part of the file name: "in-use-xf_GeminiBlue^%%05^052^052EA638%%db%3A"? Does it say what directory it originally came out of?

Thanks,
Michael

Login

Who's Online

497 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 497

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits