skenow
Re: Any tips on getting visitors to a website?
  • 2007/5/6 2:57

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

I'm with James on this one - but having an HTML backup for your main page is also a good recommendation.

Your page rank (3) and your initial comments indicate getting listed in the search results are not your primary concern. You would like to see some higher traffic to your site - right?

Some of the basic things for building site traffic come over time - Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say. But, there are some things I have found that helped my sites see some additional traffic

1. Stay in contact with your registered users. Don't abuse their confidence in you, but send them reminder messages every 90 - 120 days. Not just a 'Hi, how 'r you doin'? message, but spotlight a feature of your site or a newsworthy article. Use some of the features of the site yourself (Recommend Us, Email articles, etc)

2. Along those lines, also consider providing a site newsletter. Allow people to opt in to get updates on recent topics and changes at the site

3. Show people how to subscribe to the RSS feeds at your site. Tell them what it is, what is available, and how to use it.

4. Show registered users how to set notifications for the modules on your site.

5. Add the web site to your signature - in emails and in forums. Post or reply to forums, but only if you have something to add to the discussion. Anything else is trolling

6. Use results from search engines to fine tune your content. Know what terms people included in their search to find your site and what terms they included on your internal search. You can use Google's webmaster tools, your web host's analysis tools, or a XOOPS statistics module (I use all 3!) to get information about what people are looking for.

7. Make the most of your HTML markup. There are some great threads in this forum for modifying your theme to get better results. Make sure you use the image alt and title tags, add title tags to your links, use good page titles and valid css.

8. Make sure the search bots can follow all the visible links on a page. Hard-coded links to restricted pages/modules will end a crawling session very quickly, especially if those links are near the top of the page.

9. Don't expect your results to spike immediately. Gradual growth is expected by Google and the other big engines. A sudden increase in traffic is viewed suspiciously.

10. Put the url for the site on every printed publication you have - business cards, letterhead, newsletters, bulletins, brochures, phone listings, print ads, your business signs and bulletin boards

Keep us updated!

JMorris
  • 2007/5/6 3:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Great advice, Steve!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

ThCraftman
  • 2007/5/6 3:18

• ThCraftman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/2 1

I thank all comments and help. I learn from all comments.

ThCraftman
  • 2007/5/6 4:29

• ThCraftman

• Just popping in

Thanks ever so much.....Think I'm just going to let the XOOPS site take it's course. I worked hard on this site but I am getting worn out. Think I'll just continue to html site and if that does not work.....well you have a guest room....HA, Ha Just joking

BlueStocking

Well, I will have to agree with both of you guys too then... but, still... there is a big difference in getting traffic to your site and getting good search engine position to sell a product.

I, personally think of search engines as tools to find what you need, or need to know, ...information and selling tools.

I wouldn't know how to use them as traffic builders.

BS
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

ThCraftman
  • 2007/5/6 4:40

• ThCraftman

• Just popping in

You guys are great....

thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'm now 60 years old and I can't let this problem affect me. I love the XOOPS there ther eare too many issues
I go thru. I have many websites and currently the RIAA isue is of more important to me. I program many rdio streamers, yet this #OOPS# XOOPS (php) is new 2 me.

Open source is great if we can stop the hackers (better known as clowns) to leave it alone. XOOPS has done a great job providing opportunity to all.

Again I thank you....

I invite you to visit my (non xoop site )www.ppcurbanradio.us

Any enjoy music programmed by me.

I'm a former DJ both Club and commerial.

Enough of the ads!

check it out if you wish.... Click Here...and many thanks XOOPS!

ThCraftman
  • 2007/5/6 4:40

• ThCraftman

• Just popping in

You guys are great....

thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'm now 60 years old and I can't let this problem affect me. I love the XOOPS there ther eare too many issues
I go thru. I have many websites and currently the RIAA isue is of more important to me. I program many rdio streamers, yet this #OOPS# XOOPS (php) is new 2 me.

Open source is great if we can stop the hackers (better known as clowns) to leave it alone. XOOPS has done a great job providing opportunity to all.

Again I thank you....

I invite you to visit my (non xoop site )www.ppcurbanradio.us

Any enjoy music programmed by me.

I'm a former DJ both Club and commerial.

Enough of the ads!

check it out if you wish.... Click Here...and many thanks XOOPS!

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits