Ritchie
Re: Newsletter module
  • 2007/4/21 5:17

• Ritchie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/27

So far so good, but i still dont have a working newsletter module that works ok with 500+ users and with php4. I can only hope things change for the better after my host upgrades to php5. In the meantime i have to think of any other solution.

Thanks anyway for the reply's
Greetings Ritchie

Catzwolf
  • 2007/4/21 5:56

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I totally agree with you here. While php5 seems like gods gift to OO and to be honest would make my life a lot easier many people cannot upgrade to php5 either due to a s***y host wanting payments or as you said issues with it in certain areas. That is why I have not fully gone php5 with my work.

Is anyone still developing evennews now?

tzvook
  • 2007/4/21 8:03

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I totally agree with you here. While php5 seems like gods gift to OO and to be honest would make my life a lot easier many people cannot upgrade to php5 either due to a s***y host wanting payments or as you said issues with it in certain areas. That is why I have not fully gone php5 with my work.

Hello Cats, nice to see you again in here

For me it's not a $$$ issue, but a compibility one (each major new php version is lake of backwards compibility traditionally as you know) then for a new site that will work with php5, you need to fix all sites on the server to work with php5 ... or find a "per domain" solution which is not always good enough.
good to know you still not moving to php5 exlusively

Quote:

Not for many years, but it still works with both 2.2.4 and 2.16.
I didn't touched it for 2 years and suddenly found out that if you're not on a shared server, it works!!! at least sends mail to more then 500 users (which seams the limit on an avarage shared host).
As you know, it's quite a basic module (though nice and clean interface) lake of features like paket sending, decent groups import, wysiwyg editor is not working... and so on ...
But it's the only mailinglist that seems to work with php 4.X , and so it's my only choice, and seems that the other options are still in too-early stages of alpha and beta ...

Now that I found out it's working for me, I might hack it a bit when I'll find the time ...

Again, nice to see you here again after all those years

Catzwolf
  • 2007/4/21 10:43

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Hey Nice to see ya again :)

I develop on php 5.2.1 and I must admit I am really get the ugre sometimes to start using all the OO functions that would throw php4 into a spin and go fully 5, but the sad fact is php5 is not the standard at the moment. It would help if hosting companies pushed it more and some of the issues with 5 were fixed. Maybe one day :)

Regarding, evennews. I knew at the time that there were problems with it and like everything else I really didn't have the time to do the job properly. I think out of all the newsletter modules (and you can't even called evennews that) its the only one that comes anywhere close to half decent. Maybe (and A big IF maybe) if I get some time I might try and sort it out a little. lol

Anyways,

Takes care :)

Quote:

tzvook wrote:
Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:

Hello Cats, nice to see you again in here

For me it's not a $$$ issue, but a compibility one (each major new php version is lake of backwards compibility traditionally as you know) then for a new site that will work with php5, you need to fix all sites on the server to work with php5 ... or find a "per domain" solution which is not always good enough.
good to know you still not moving to php5 exlusively

Quote:

Not for many years, but it still works with both 2.2.4 and 2.16.
I didn't touched it for 2 years and suddenly found out that if you're not on a shared server, it works!!! at least sends mail to more then 500 users (which seams the limit on an avarage shared host).
As you know, it's quite a basic module (though nice and clean interface) lake of features like paket sending, decent groups import, wysiwyg editor is not working... and so on ...
But it's the only mailinglist that seems to work with php 4.X , and so it's my only choice, and seems that the other options are still in too-early stages of alpha and beta ...

Now that I found out it's working for me, I might hack it a bit when I'll find the time ...

Again, nice to see you here again after all those years

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits