FeraTechInc
Moving from PHPNuke, please help need new CMS.

So I am trying to make the move from PHPNuke. However, I need a new CMS to have the following things which I would hope are available in XOOPS.

1. Possibility to use external SMTP server similar to PHPBB forums. (ISP blocks my port 25)

2. Paypal shopping cart w/ invoicing and tax exempt customers. (OSCommerce seems adequate)

3. Easy to use WYSIWYG editor for editing pages.

4. Comprehensive and easy to use group administration.

5. Simple to use gallery that doesn't require ImageMagik.

I have looked through the manuals but I would like some insight from people who have actually used it and their impressions.

From what I have seen I'm very impressed.

Ohh and it wouldn't by any chance happen to have compatibility with any PHPNuke mods/themes would it?

JMorris
Re: Moving from PHPNuke, please help need new CMS.
  • 2007/3/19 23:51

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
So I am trying to make the move from PHPNuke. However, I need a new CMS to have the following things which I would hope are available in XOOPS.

I'm a PHPNuke convert myself. Welcome to XOOPS!

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
1. Possibility to use external SMTP server similar to PHPBB forums. (ISP blocks my port 25)

Got it! It's built into the Core.

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
2. Paypal shopping cart w/ invoicing and tax exempt customers. (OSCommerce seems adequate)

The OSCommerce module seems dead, but their is a Zen-cart module for XOOPS being developed.

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
3. Easy to use WYSIWYG editor for editing pages.

Their are several WYSIWYG content modules and core hacks available for XOOPS. Just do a search for WYSIWYG on this site and you'll find everything you need.

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
4. Comprehensive and easy to use group administration.

Got it! It's built into the Core.

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
5. Simple to use gallery that doesn't require ImageMagik.

We've got a few that use the GD library or ImageMagik. Just do a search for Gallery and you'll find what you need.

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
I have looked through the manuals but I would like some insight from people who have actually used it and their impressions.

As I stated earlier, I converted from PHPNuke to XOOPS several years ago. The initial data conversion was a pain because their are no migration scripts. Lots of time with PHPMyAdmin! But it was worth it. You'll find that XOOPS is much easier to use, administer, and customize to suit your needs.

Quote:

FeraTechInc wrote:
Ohh and it wouldn't by any chance happen to have compatibility with any PHPNuke mods/themes would it?

No, PHPNuke modules and themes won't work with XOOPS. XOOPS Modules and themes are much cleaner and simpler to understand. If you know your way around HTML and CSS, you'll be making your own themes in no time.

If you want to get up to speed quickly on basic administration and customization of a XOOPS site, check out XOOPS for Dummies. It's a great way to get up to speed quickly and still serves as quick reference for many of us.

I hope you find XOOPS to be as fun to use and many of us have!

HTH.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

FeraTechInc
Re: Moving from PHPNuke, please help need new CMS.

Thanks for the info. I'm reading the XOOPS for Dummies as we speak.

Do you know where I can find the development info on ZenCart?

I've been looking at simply installing it as a stand alone. I've been on the ZenCart forums and it is really powerful ecommerce software.

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits