hpkomic
Having difficulty with the avatars.
  • 2006/10/26 23:52

• hpkomic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/26

I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to web design and content management but for some reason this has me absolutely stumped.

I've set the ability for users to upload avatars, and I have specified posts required (1), and the other settings.

But no avatars are showing up, and none seem to be selectable when I try to edit my profile. There seems to be no option to upload an avatar either from the user profile.

In the avatar directory in my system panel, there are three avatars listed, but I have no way of displaying them next to users on forum posts and comments.

What am I doing wrong here?

aph3x
Re: Having difficulty with the avatars.
  • 2006/10/27 8:31

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

In XOOPS 2.0.x in admin section, check first Preferences ==> User Info Settings that the line "Allow custom avatar upload?" is checked as "yes", than also if you go in admin section ==> Avatars and click on the System Avatars "List" you will notice a "display in list" option that has to be selected to apear on the user side ....
In XOOPS 2.2.4 will be the same except the first step that allows user to upload...preferences ==> Extended Profile ==> User Setings select yes to "Allow custom avatar upload?"
Everything I'm not made me everything I am
The Themes

RachelVirago

You might want to read This thread before deciding whether to allow avatar upload.
Being transgender is NOT a choice.

aph3x
  • 2006/10/27 9:19

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

Heh yes...it "might be" a threat that's why i've uploaded about 1000 avatars on my site so there'll be plenty to chose from but than again.... Every single computer contected is a posible target for hackers, every single website is a potential future hacked site, let's all close our websites and take a vacation LOL.
If one restricts the avatar upload to a higher group for lets say +200 or +300 posts it should be safe in a decent percentage 'cause even though there are lots of crazy hackers out there i'm sure that no one will post 300 rubish just to get to the backdoor of the site and besides there weren't so many XOOPS sites hacked that way and infact most of them were hacked due to host's faulty security.

That's just my personal opinion anyways
Everything I'm not made me everything I am
The Themes

wrecked
  • 2006/12/23 19:00

• wrecked

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/5

screenshot

Where is this "admin section ==> Avatars and click on the System Avatars "List" you will notice a "display in list" option that has to be selected to apear on the user side ...."

display in list? :/

girrl88
  • 2006/12/26 11:13

• girrl88

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/16

Quote:

wrecked wrote:
screenshot

Where is this "admin section ==> Avatars and click on the System Avatars "List" you will notice a "display in list" option that has to be selected to apear on the user side ...."

display in list? :/

Click on the System Admin module then you will see the section called "Avatars"

Karunasiddhi

Hi
Have you checked to see if the folder your users are uploading avatars to is writeable?
There is information at www.php.net that covers the whole topic of uploading images, etc to web servers. The important point is that uploaded files are (very temporarily) stored in the web server's global /tmp folder. They get automatically erased from here as soon as the next http request is made, so the upload form's target has to be a non-http script (PHP in the case of XOOP). This script has to copy/move the uploaded file from /tmp to somewhere more permanent (!) before handing off to the next browsable HTML page. This more permanent resting place has to be writeable by the XOOP process, or the file copying will simply fail.

wrecked
  • 2007/3/3 12:48

• wrecked

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/5

I don't want to start a New topic, but I have a problem.

I'm using SmartProfiles and there is no "Avatar" Button. when viewing "View Account".

there is - Edit Profile, Change Password, Log Out.

when I manually add in address line: site/edituser.php?op=avatarform

it opens avatars, I can upload and select system and stuff.

maybe I need to add a html to the SmartProfiles template? somewhere? or i'm just missing a "check" ?

Login

Who's Online

125 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 125

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits