ghettonet
Summer of Code
  • 2007/2/17 18:43

• ghettonet

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/12/4

I saw a post a while back about XOOPS getting google summer of code devs. Apparently last year XOOPS missed the deadline.

Well, it's that time of the year again

I think having some summer of code devs could really help to energize this project, and maybe tackle any issues/bugs that have been lingering. Well, it's that time of the year again

samer
Re: Summer of Code
  • 2007/2/19 19:06

• samer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

I do think so too!
It is a great way for students to contribute to the open source world.
This way XOOPS might have more developers! Who knows?!

ghettonet
  • 2007/2/19 20:37

• ghettonet

• Not too shy to talk

Maybe. But in the short term, i'm sure there are things the XOOPS developers would like to be able to put a dedicated, full time programmer or two ontop of.

samer
  • 2007/2/20 10:05

• samer

• Just popping in

Bump. Anyone ?

wizanda
  • 2007/2/20 10:10

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Quote:
What is Google Summer of Code?

Google Summer of CodeTM is a program that offers student developers stipends to write code for various open source projects. Google will be working with a several open source, free software and technology-related groups to identify and fund several projects over a three month period. Historically, the program has brought together over 1,000 students with over 100 open source projects, to create hundreds of thousands of lines of code. The program, which kicked off in 2005, is now in its third year, following on from a very successful 2006.

While the majority of past student participants were enrolled in university Computer Science and Computer Engineering programs, GSoCers come from a wide variety of educational backgrounds, from computational biology to mining engineering. Many of our past participants had never participated in an open-source project before GSoC; others used the GSoC stipend as an opportunity to concentrate fully on their existing open source coding activities over the summer. Several of our 2005 students went on to become mentors in 2006.

What are the goals of this program?

Google Summer of CodeTM has several goals:

* Get more open source code created and released for the benefit of all
* Inspire young developers to begin participating in open source development
* Help open source projects identify and bring in new developers and committers
* Provide students in Computer Science and related fields the opportunity to do work related to their academic pursuits during the summer (think "flip bits, not burgers")
* Give students more exposure to real-world software development scenarios (e.g., distributed development, software licensing questions, mailing-list etiquette)

ghettonet
  • 2007/2/20 21:50

• ghettonet

• Not too shy to talk

I'm applying to Google Summer of Code, but as a Java programmer (as much as i would love to help XOOPS out, PHP really isn't my strong language). But I thought I'd post it here in the hopes that someone with some control over the XOOPS project might want to take advantage of it. Maybe they could get someone to fix the module repository

davidl2
  • 2007/2/21 1:32

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

ghettonet wrote:
Maybe they could get someone to fix the module repository

That *is* being worked on.

ghettonet
  • 2007/2/21 2:19

• ghettonet

• Not too shy to talk

Sorry if you took that wrong, I know everyone here works hard - I'm sure everything is being worked on. I'm also sure that a lot of the volunteers would love to have someone help them with the dirty work.

JMorris
  • 2007/2/21 2:31

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Willing and able hands are always welcome.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

samer
  • 2007/2/21 8:33

• samer

• Just popping in

In order for students to apply for a xoops-related idea ,
XOOPS should apply as a mentor too .
Currently , XOOPS is not a mentor.

http://code.google.com/soc/

Many CMS are there , but why not XOOPS.

Please apply as a mentoring organization so students will be able to apply for a xoops-related project.

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits