EncryptedMan
How to handle database

Hi, I was wondering how I am supposed to handle my sql database, i have had very tragic experiences in the past, when exporting, which settings should i use? there are many e.g. drop table, drop database, insert, update, replace... I just want my database backup in such a way that if my in-use database is destroyed, i just goto phpmyadmin, and simply import the file, or rather drop all existing tables, and then import the file.... Please help

eric235u
Re: How to handle database
  • 2007/2/1 16:59

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

hi. i brought up a similar questions a while back. phpmyadmin works well for me and i've used it to restore and transfer website databases. you may also want to check out their docs for more detailed information. but basically just export as file and you're good to go.

just for fun i installed MySQL on my home computer and imported the sql dump to verify my backup was correct. it's not hard. play with it and you'll figure it out.

also, i backup my site via phpmyadmin and my web host's tool. that way i have two methods of MySQL backup in case one fails. i occassionally make a complete directory backup also.

hope that helps. good luck.

eric235u
  • 2007/2/1 17:04

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

from the faq:

Click on a database or table name in the left frame, the properties will be displayed. Then on the menu, click "Export", you can dump the structure, the data, or both. This will generate standard SQL statements that can be used to recreate your database/table.

carnuke
  • 2007/2/1 21:15

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

If you have cpanel, go to 'backup' and simply click the database you want to backup from the list on the page. You get a gzip download to your local machine. To restore this database, you click the restore database function (on the same page) and browse for the database you downloaded on your LM. Upload it as it is. The backup and restore functions are completely compatible to restore the DB without errors (even large databases) Yo dont need to make any setting in cpanel or change anything.

Ive used it many times, no problems of catches. On restore, always allow the screen to load completely. Dont be in a hurry to click on. It can take several seconds or minutes on a large database.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

eric235u
  • 2007/2/2 15:12

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

i've never used cpanel but have heard good things from other xoopsters.

i briefly looked over their website but couldn't find licensing info. is cpanel free software?

Login

Who's Online

102 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 102

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits