• Since: 2007/1/22

how can i make the latest news appear on the home page
plz help me really i need it ......

Anonymous
Re: news module
  • 2007/1/22 15:00

• Anonymous

• Since:

Do you mean set the News index page as your homepage or get one of the blocks, e.g. recent news (like on my site, to appear on another page?

stefan88
  • 2007/1/22 15:01

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

You can use spotlight module.

description: http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?b-xmodules

files: http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1315

The other way would be to set news module as your start module. To do this go to admin -> system admin -> preferences -> general settings and for "Module for your start page" select "news" and save settings

Anonymous
  • 2007/1/22 15:05

• Anonymous

• Since:

I assumed the query was about the news module......

Z_Rousan
  • 2007/1/23 8:44

• Z_Rousan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/22

yes JAVesey thats what i mean , like ur site
plz help with it

Anonymous
  • 2007/1/23 9:21

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

I use the News 1.51 module from the Dev Forge (I started with v1.44 then upgraded via v1.50).

Go to Blocks Admin and look for the "Recent News" block. Click on edit and set it up as you wish. I have the spotlight turned on to display the most recent news item.

On my site the block is positioned "Centre Left" and with a "weight" of 10 (makes no difference on my site as it's the only centre-left block on the top page).

I set the title length to "35" to account for one particular news item but that might be too much for some.

The main thing is to remember to make the block visible in the "Top Page".

I've edited the template file (I think it's called news_block_top.html) to make the category description display "strong" and to set the title colour to the dark blue rather than the default orange.

For some reason I can't access my site to confirm the above exactly, but this is the general idea.

HTH

stefan88
  • 2007/1/23 10:03

• stefan88

Quote:

Spotlight module is used to have something like "Latest XOOPS news" block on xoops.org main page ... So it is about news

BTW I too can not access your site.

Anonymous
  • 2007/1/23 11:59

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
stefan88 wrote:Quote:

Spotlight module is used to have something like "Latest XOOPS news" block on xoops.org main page ... So it is about news

You refer to the xmspotlight module? I can only find a beta-version of that and nothing to say that it works with News1.50 and later.

Keeping an eye on situation as that would tidy my homepage up a bit

Quote:
stefan88 wrote:
BTW I too can not access your site.

Seems slow this morning, but 'net access here at work also slow.

Just been in to site and have sent screen-grab image of my block settings to Z_Rousan.

stefan88
  • 2007/1/24 7:14

• stefan88

Quote:
You refer to the xmspotlight module? I can only find a beta-version of that and nothing to say that it works with News1.50 and later.

Yes, the links I posted go to its dev page. Many modules never exit beta status, but some of them may work more stable than others in final, so the best way is to test and decide.

On main dev page there is a link for download from 27.10.2006 It has problems with News 1.5+ due to change in functions names and will not work. At files page there is a build from 31.12.2006. In this bild some of the problems are fixed, but there is still one - in blocks/xmspotlight_block_news.php line 97.

Anonymous
  • 2007/1/24 8:40

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

stefan88 wrote:
At files page there is a build from 31.12.2006. In this bild some of the problems are fixed, but there is still one - in blocks/xmspotlight_block_news.php line 97.

I downloaded this last night and had a very quick look. It's basically there, but doesn't pick up everything it should.

There's a few comments in the News1.50 info which suggests that some files need editing. I'll do that this evening and see how I get on.

What do I need to do to correct the error that you mentioned above?

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Login

Who's Online

466 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 466

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits