Chappy
Trouble getting blocks to appear with SmartBlocks
  • 2006/12/31 7:23

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

So, it's probably something really simple that, as usual, I'm not getting. I have done an extensive search and still am missing how to make SmartBlocks show the blocks. They just aren't showing...

Here's the data:

XOOPS Version: 2.0.16
Module Name/Version: SmartBlocks (latest version - 1.0)
PHP Version: 5.1
MySQL Version: 4.something
Web Server Software (Apache/IIS/Other): Apache 1.3
Operating System: Linux, Unix, or something ix
Theme you are using: Skidoo2
Custom template: (Yes/No) No
PHP Debug Messages: None
MySQL Debug Messages: None
Smarty Debug Messages: None that are relevant
A full description of the issue: I set three blocks to appear on the front page. My XOOPS prefs say that I have "None" as my starting module. None of the SmartBlock blocks appear. I do have some blocks that show up (main Menu, User Menu) but none that are set by the SmartBlock module.

Does the default block management part of XOOPS override this module in some way? Is there some way that I have to tell the default block management module to get out of the way and let SmartBlocks work its magic? This would make a great tutorial for someone who's figured it out... Thus far, that would not be me... It does look great, though...

Any ideas?
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

stefan88
Re: Trouble getting blocks to appear with SmartBlocks
  • 2006/12/31 8:14

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Do you have the latest smartobject?

Chappy
  • 2006/12/31 8:51

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks, stefan88, for your reply.

Yes, I do have the latest SmartObject. I was able to get the blocks to show, but only when I permissioned each block through the regular block control interface. Is that the way it's supposed to be. I was under the impression that it basically bypassed the block interface that was previously being used. That may be a bad assumption..

Again, thanks. And, grateful for any further thoughts you might have.

Mithrandir

Since there is no way to bypass the core, SmartBlocks works by having "blocks inside other blocks".

So for the SmartBlocks-configured blocks to show up, you'll need to have the corresponding XOOPS block (SmartBlocks Left, SmartBlocks Right, etc.) visible to everyone on all pages.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Chappy
  • 2006/12/31 10:30

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks, Mith!

Always good to see you around and thanks for some remarkably wonderful contributions here recently.

That explains why I was having difficulties and the rationale for what had to be done to make it work. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks, again...

Mike D.

Login

Who's Online

256 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 256

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits