romrp
Re: adding xoops to our site and SEO concerns
  • 2006/12/20 16:30

• romrp

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/20

Hello Mithrandir and thank you for your reply,

Between the very nice discussion with wizanda and some other comments we lost the focus of the subject.

Xoops deliveries a ready to go web site and it uses the templates to mount the structure of this site. Today I already have this structure. A well and nicelly done tableless design. It has menus, brings the info from the database. I have an example page here: http://www.freecodesource.com/fcsv2/main.php - this is just a dummy page but it simulates what I want to explain.

All the user social interactivity to the site, I want to be handled by xoops. Login, ratings of the content, membership, pools, forums, you name it. In other words, when the user login into the site it is actually using XOOPS interface to login. Then, after the a succesful login, the user, depending on its location would interact differently with the site, like posting comments, rating things, posting layouts or images and so on. All this interactivity that is not common to XOOPS would be developed as modules on xoops.

In other words I would need to contruct a template that would not need to consider columns to place the blocks from xoops, but to place only in the main part of the site.

Please let me know if you got my point.

Thank you and all the best,

Rom Pereira

wizanda
  • 2006/12/20 17:58

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

A XOOPS theme could be as much or as little as needed, it would need to include some of the XOOPS Codes instructions from the head, then columns could be arranged as needed, you wouldn't need to include all the columns either, just the ones you were using....

Yet somewhere to pull off what we are saying you would need it to be as such a XOOPS theme over it, with some sort of placement of the block system, for Smarty to see what you are doing....

Yet there are no limitations to where the columns would be placed or how....if designed into a theme...else you would need to call XOOPS each time you needed it, which would overall slow the site down...plus I personally can’t figure out how to make XOOPS show a block in the space, unless there is the space in the first place…..

Better would be more to use that design you have and incorporating that over Xoops, then using blocks in the places needed rather then the standard columns....yet that would give you 5 or 8 columns to work within; as XOOPS works on the basis of filling the block into the space provided for by the theme...

Without checking my self, I am not sure you see how little of Xoops, would be needed in which to do as you ask, though quite a number of people have asked along similar lines so pondering it……………….

irmtfan
  • 2006/12/20 18:38

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

there are some table less themes created for XOOPS with div tags.recently XOOPS theme designers focus on it.
xoops going to be more flexible in recent versions by adding "xostylesheet" and "xoscript" as new smarty variables into themes.
even you can costumize templates (which are different from themes) for each theme.
read this topic about table less themes:

Holly Grail Css ...

romrp
  • 2006/12/21 12:39

• romrp

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/20

Hello,

I checked some of those themes/templates and they are not good. A better study on top of those templates/themes needs to be done. They are far from optmized and I am sure they can be done better. I will do my best to create a new and more optmized theme. There is the need to have a table theme/template for old browsers and have a pure CSS one just for new browsers.

Thank you and all the best,

Rom Pereira

Login

Who's Online

495 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 495

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits