anemic
Members versus Anonymous start pages
  • 2006/12/6 19:11

• anemic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/6

I've been trying to figure out how to show different start pages for anonymous users and members. I'd like Anonymous people to see a 'Why Sign Up' page and perhaps a member would see another custom page. The preferences tab only allows you to set a default module for the start page. It's my impression the only way to do unique custom pages is with blocks. If I want visitors to rank my custom provided pages or make comments does this mean I need a module for a page? Can I take module output and wrap it in a custom block?

Thanks, anemic

davidl2
Re: Members versus Anonymous start pages
  • 2006/12/6 19:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Blocks is the easier way - but there are some starting page modules - like MyPage or others that will allow you to customise your starting page further...

Peekay
  • 2006/12/6 23:00

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

For encouraging membership I would create a block and set the permissions so only anonymous visitors will see it. If you use HTML, centre-centre blocks can be nicely designed with text and images.

As far as content is concerned, many modules allow you to set category-level permissions and some allow article-level permissions. This means you could easily create a selection of sample articles that anonymous (and registered) users can see.

Regardless of the permissions you set, some modules will still display a list of prohibited items in their 'recent items block', however anon users will not be able to open them.

This isn't such a bad thing really, as it shows people what they are missing by not registering.

The XOOPS permissions system is a bit tricky to get the hang of, but it is very powerful and one of the features that sets it apart from other CMS solutions. Searching the forum and the FAQ should reveal all.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

anemic
  • 2006/12/6 23:46

• anemic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/6

I built a page using the Content Module. I like the layout and the ease of rating or commenting on the start page. Can I include those features in an html only module as show in this FAQ entry (https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=280)? I was thinking of taking the html out of my custom block (only shown to anonymous users) and adding logic like below

get UID
if( UID > 0 ){
show rich content for members
} else {
show rich content for anonymous
}

Is it possible to take this basic logic and and yet keep the icons and functions added by the Content module? Ie add comments, mail page to others, print page. That makes a clean looking page imho.

Thanks everyone for the assistance !!

davidl2
  • 2006/12/6 23:56

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I couldn't remember the name of the module earlier - but MyHome from Solo would be a good one to try

http://wolfactory.wolfpackclan.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4

davidl2
  • 2006/12/7 9:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Sadly, unless I'm wrong, this otherwise good module will only allow 2 different groups... although you may be able to clone the module to get around this.

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits