SLEO577
Browser's Refresh in Xoops (IE vs. Firefox)
  • 2006/11/11 19:54

• SLEO577

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/27

Has anyone noticed that when viewing an XOOPS CMS site, there are two obvious differences when viewing it in Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I didn't realize this until I started running flash in some of the sites content.

If you view these sites with Internet Explorer and you click on a link, the "Entire" page reloads (header and all). If you view these sites with Firefox and you click on a link, only the module content reloads and the header or top graphic (Xoops powered by you) appears to not reload.

The best differences can been seen when looking at: (XoopsDesign.com). In Firefox, the pages change smoothly without ever viewing the dark purple background. In Internet Explorer, it's so obvious the change, it'll make you trash your IE forever.

I've tried to get Internet Explorer (6 & 7) to duplicate the firefox browser by commenting out (admin/preferences/main.php) //$xoopsTpl->clear_all_cache. Turned sessions off/on and I even checked "No" for automatically updating theme html under admin/preferences/General Settings.

This is a big issue for those wishing to run a flash navigational menu on their site or even some dynamic drop downs. The last thing you'd want is these to refresh on each click.

I checked this through different XOOPS 2.2.x compliant & CSS themes and still nothing changes. The only other viable thing I could think of is making a flash navigational menu & header, and then wrap the hole XOOPS CMS in a iFrame. Anyone else have any ideas?

Will_H
Re: Browsers Refresh in Xoops (IE vs. Firefox)
  • 2006/11/12 2:35

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Yeah I trashed my IE for good about a year ago, the only time I use it is when I am designing, and even then I just use that nifty little engine switcher plugin for Firefox.

SLEO577
Re: Browser Refresh in Xoops (IE vs. Firefox)
  • 2006/11/12 3:33

• SLEO577

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/27

I agree, get rid of internet explorer all together. That would make many developers lives much easier. I think Firefox would do good to have a monopoly on browsers just as IE has had for years.

But then again, that's developers talking...then you have that other 95% visiting your site using IE. So you have to make sure that your site's content is compliant with IE unfortunantely.

So I use both for reference purposes and have learn, apples may look red and juicy in Firefox, but rotten as heck in IE. What works in one will not always work in the other. A developers nightmare to say the least!

But I still believe that there has to be a viable solution in making XOOPS look as good during reloads in IE as it does in Firefox.

Login

Who's Online

256 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 256

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits