Ejona
Many Sites feeded by one source installation - Multisite
  • 2006/10/19 9:50

• Ejona

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/19

Im refering to an post from Mithrandir in a thread about the multisite hack for 2.2.3.

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Quote:
So, a single code core install of XOOPS supporting multiple sites with their own, dedicated, databases. Single point to patch. Possible?

Much easier than hacks and stuff.

On a Apache/Linux server, you can use symlinks so you would have

/websites/common
with all the files and directories except mainfile.php, templates_c, cache and (perhaps) uploads

and for the subsites, you'd have
/websites/site1
/websites/site2
/websites/site2

that would only have mainfile.php, templates_c, cache and (perhaps) uploads and everything else would symlink to the /websites/common files and directories with the sites themselves being virtual hosts on the webserver.

That way, you would only have one core to maintain, but could use individual databases (and database servers) for the sites. No sharing of database tables would be involved, though.

Im currently running around 30 Websites on a Server, each indiviually installed with a complete set of files aswell as an dedicated database.

I would like to reduce maintenance efforts in the future by only updating one "core" folder. Every webpage should have their own database aswell as the "smallest possible" set of files. I already tried it like Mithrandir suggested but im struggling with the XOOPS Security.

I have an full installation at an folder called "xoops_core" and an test web at an folder named "xoops1".

Everything in "xoops1" is symlinked and pointing to "xoops_core" beside:

mainfile.php
.htaccess
(DIR) cache
(DIR) templates_c
(DIR) uploads

After editing the mainfile.php to the proper paths i get the following error message:

Quote:
XOOPS path check: Script is not inside XOOPS_ROOT_PATH and cannot run.

Already tried to change "XOOPS_CHECK_PATH" to 0 without any change.

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

nekro
Re: Many Sites feeded by one source installation - Multisite
  • 2006/10/19 19:03

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

I am trying to start a project in dev.xoops.org about MULTI-SITE based on Mithrandir hack, other hacks, and my work... really i am looking for some people to encourage the project as a team...

I ve got a hack ... which is explaned in spanish... ( my native language ) which is working very good but is steal in testing... and works under XOOPS 2.0.15.. but in a moment it also works in 2.2.3 ... i left the 2.2.3 ... because i prefered finishing 2.0.15 which is the oficialy recomended... and the version which i prefer ...
you only have to check the hacked files (about 20) and hack manually the 2.2.3 files. Today i will try to upload the files and put the link...

Luck!...

Ejona
Re: Many Sites feeded by one source installation - Multisite
  • 2006/10/20 8:22

• Ejona

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/19

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that im working with Version 2.0.13.2, 2.0.14 and 2.0.15. I would be highly interested into your modifications.

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits