bluecat
Digital Download URL Protection Problem
  • 2006/8/16 12:30

• bluecat

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/16

Hi there,

I just discovered XOOPS while I was searching the internet for the answer to a web dev problem I have.

Although I've successfully installed XOOPS v2 and also the xasset module, I'm still kind of grappling around in the dark. However, I can see the benefit of XOOPS and I will certainly be using it.

The challenge I have is this:

My site involves making digital music content available for download and also the streaming of samples. Thus, I need some kind of mechanism that delivers a download link to the customer after payment. That in itself is not the problem.

The download page has to have a unique address every time an item is downloaded, so the page needs to be encrypted in some way in order to protect the digital content?

So far I've only found a couple of potential solutions to this, but they involve buying quite large expensive programs as part of a package. I only need this little piece of functionality to move my development project forward.

I'm not sure if the xasset module can solve this? Also, I am aware of the xTotal package, although this, again seems to be a case of using a "bulldozer to squeeze an orange".

If anyone can point me in the right direction, any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

bluecat

davidl2
Re: Digital Download URL Protection Problem
  • 2006/8/16 12:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Yes, McNaz's program Xasset would do nicely for this .. using xTotal may also be worth checking, as the payment options on that may give extra possibilities... perhaps a forum area only open to customers who have purchased an item - for example?

davidl2
  • 2006/8/16 12:34

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I'd recommend contacting him via his site, as he's a very helpful chap.

bluecat
  • 2006/8/16 12:44

• bluecat

• Just popping in

ok, many thanks davidl2. I will explore the xasset avenue further.

bluecat

McNaz
  • 2006/8/16 12:53

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
The download page has to have a unique address every time an item is downloaded, so the page needs to be encrypted in some way in order to protect the digital content?

Hi Bluecat.

xAsset should have no problem managing this as it provides the ability of "protecting" files. Protected files can only be downloaded a certain number of times and/or a set number of days after purchase (which is specified by you). There is also direct link protection as well.

Like David said, any questions then please drop a post in the support forums as sometimes I miss xAsset related postings on Xoops.org.

Also have a look at the included xasset.hlp file in the xAsset docs directory for a guide on what the module does and how to use it.

Cheers.

bluecat
  • 2006/8/16 13:46

• bluecat

• Just popping in

Hi McNaz,

That's great thank you very much for your help. xAsset is obviously the way to go.

I just need to figure out how to integrate my site into XOOPS and then integrate the xAsset module into the site.

I'll probably see you in the xAsset forum shortly.

Thanks again

bluecat

Login

Who's Online

310 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 310

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits