pipwax
Lessons learned
  • 2006/7/21 13:04

• pipwax

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/12

I have a web site that I run called sk8photos.com using xoops. In the beginning I was using version 2.0.7, then that dredful day came I logged in and I had now control panel. when I think about it I panic, instead of thinking things through I re-installed the XOOPS application. Big mistake as I did not have everything backed up. I have, and did have at that time,the module backpack installed. However, that is no good unless you use it.

I am looking for ideas on how to back up my XOOPS system in it's entirety so that if this happens again I can just upload the backup files and all is well. The site is mainly photos I had backed up the photos module but whan I restored it all of the photos were broken links.

In any event I think that by this time you guys and gals get the picture. All advice will be considered, and please webmaster contact me at pipwax@hotmail.com to change my email address.
pipwax1@bellsouth.net
Quote:
To win in life one must be fluid like water, taking the shape needed to prevail

aspring IT Professional

msdana
Re: Lessons learned
  • 2006/7/21 13:30

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

I'm sure we all have been in a similiar situation. Losing a website due to a server crash or human error is not fun

Here's my method:

I use XOOPS Backup and Restore for my databases and perform regular backups that I download and burn to CD. I use a Backup program that allows me to download files from an FTP to backup my site files. I have it set automatically to backup every night while I'm sleeping; twice a week a full backup, other nights are incremental backups. And I burn them to a CD. And because I'm REALLY cautious, once a week, I take a disc to a safe deposit box, in case my house burns down But I have client work I also do this with, so it's well worth the trip to the safe deposit box

I do this even though my web hosts insist they backup daily. It's just added security for me

Different people have different methods, but this works for me.

Practice the method of backing up...you'll be glad you did
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

pipwax
  • 2006/7/21 14:36

• pipwax

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/12

Is XOOPS backup a module? Can I just download my XOOPS files from my server to hard drive or disc?
pipwax1@bellsouth.net
Quote:
To win in life one must be fluid like water, taking the shape needed to prevail

aspring IT Professional

msdana
  • 2006/7/21 15:17

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
Is XOOPS backup a module?

Yes, XOOPS Backup and Restore is a module. You can find it in the Module Repository. It's easy to install and configure.

Quote:
Can I just download my XOOPS files from my server to hard drive or disc?

Of course you can. But are you going to verify each file was downloaded correctly and didn't get corrupt? Do you have the time to do that?

Most backup programs download the files, verify the data, and compress it to save disk space. Plus, like I said you can automate it to backup when you are not around. There are many benefits to using a backup program.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits