jegelstaff
Re: Registration Codes -- IMPORTANT UPDATE

Quote:

"Which form is to be used as part of the registration process and when viewing and editing accounts? (requires use of the Registration Codes module)"

has no forms listed, just [--------]

Have I missed a step?

Ah-hah, that explains things. Yes, you have missed a step. Update the Formulize module, under System Admin->Modules. Then you will be able to pick the form.

We should add a description to that preference telling people to update the module.

Does this fix it for you?

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Peekay
  • 2006/6/28 15:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Yes Sir... it most certainly does!

This is a fine module. Thx for bringing it up to speed.

I am building a site for a residents association and they want residents only to view news items, forums etc. This enables the site admin to mailshot the home owners directly and invite them to join the site.

The only feature on my wish-list (if it is possible) is to enable 'ordinary' registration too. I.e., it would be good if when users clicked 'Register Now' they could either enter a reg code to put themselves in to a special group, or simply subscribe as 'normal' registered users.

You could then send reg codes by PM to enable members to upgrade their own membership.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jegelstaff

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
The only feature on my wish-list (if it is possible) is to enable 'ordinary' registration too. I.e., it would be good if when users clicked 'Register Now' they could either enter a reg code to put themselves in to a special group, or simply subscribe as 'normal' registered users.

You can sort of fake this right now if you make a code that allows membership in registered users (or no groups, if it is possible to make a code with no groups -- since all users are added to registered users anyway).

And then you could change the link for "Register Now" on your site, so it includes this default code in the URL, and that will take people straight to the regular form (and you just have to make sure that the questions on the form are set up to be displayed to the right groups).

Of course, that means when you're e-mailing people, you have to send them to "register.php?code=specialcode". If you send them to the front page (or if they go there themselves) and click "Register Now," it would register them as if they were a regular user.

Note: if you make a code that gives membership in registered users, I think you will end up with the user listed as a member of that group twice. I don't know if that will have an adverse affect on the operations of any other parts of the site or any other modules. I don't think so, but it's something to be aware of.

--Julian

Peekay
  • 2006/6/28 16:00

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Thx. I'll have a play with that.

Chappy
  • 2006/6/30 1:58

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

This does sound like a nice adaptation. Maybe just adding a blank text box on the main registration form, that if filled with the correct regcode, automatically assigns them to the appropriate group. Then the box where you now have them enter the code is just included in with the standard registration form. If the regcode box has an entry, it is processed for the special group. If not, it is processed as a regular registration - kind of like on shopping carts where, if you have a discount code, you enter it for the extra discount. Heck, if I knew a thing about programming, I'd do it tonight...

[edited this based on Peekay's following comments]
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Peekay
  • 2006/6/30 7:23

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Yes. A good idea. If you could still use the Formulize custom fields in the registration form, that would be great.

I would be happy if there was a button on the existing 'enter code' page that gives people the option, e.g.

Quote:
Enter registraton code [_____] [Submit]

I do not have a registration code [Submit]

jegelstaff
  • 2006/10/17 17:28

• jegelstaff

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

Quote:

Chappy wrote:
This does sound like a nice adaptation. Maybe just adding a blank text box on the main registration form, that if filled with the correct regcode, automatically assigns them to the appropriate group.

This would be nice, however there is an important feature of the Formulize-Reg Codes registration process that requires the code be entered first: the registration form changes based on the code.

So we have to ask for the code first so we know how to draw the registration form correctly for the user, based on the groups they are going to be a member of.

I guess with some Ajax kind of stuff, you could put it in the same form, and the form could change in realtime as they type the code in, but the registration process and form is not built around an Ajax kind of process. So this isn't really feasible in the short term.

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits